Advice needed - aggressive piggy

BumbleBea

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello! I got my first piggies about a month ago and managed to get 4 baby girls (all sisters.) All was well until a few days ago when I noticed one of them was sleeping separately from the others (they were all sleeping together before) and she just wasn't acting like her usual self. I sat and watched and realised one of my other pigs has been chasing her, tooth chattering etc. I thought maybe she needed to let of some steam since I hadn't seen this behaviour before so I got them all out for free roam but the bullying continued even then. I checked the bullied pig over and she seemed to be fine yesterday but I've just gotten them out for free roam again and she now seems to have some scabs on her butt. I'm really concerned for her as she seems pretty distressed by it all and I'm not sure what I can do. They are about 3 months old now. Is this likely just a hormone thing that will pass, or should I be separating them into pairs? There seems to be no bulling amoungst any of the other pigs it's just the 2, and is always one sided. Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you!

Hello and welcome.
I'm so sorry to hear of your poor little bullied girl. I can imagine how distressed you feel at seeing it all.
Unfortunately I've never had girls so I'm not the best person to advise you, sorry. I just wanted to welcome you though and I'm sure someone with lots on knowledge and experience will soon see you post and be able to help you. I hope your girls can settle down x

If they are not getting on and bullying is actually occurring, then separating them into two compatible pairs is best. They will be much happier living that way

Hello and welcome.
I'm so sorry to hear of your poor little bullied girl. I can imagine how distressed you feel at seeing it all.
Unfortunately I've never had girls so I'm not the best person to advise you, sorry. I just wanted to welcome you though and I'm sure someone with lots on knowledge and experience will soon see you post and be able to help you. I hope your girls can settle down x
Thank you for the warm welcome :)

If they are not getting on and bullying is actually occurring, then separating them into two compatible pairs is best. They will be much happier living that way
Thank you for your reply. It’s certainly what I perceive as bullying but I'm not a guinea pig! It seems to be whenever Egg (bully) ends up near Sprout (bullied) she chases her until Sprout finds an escape and often Sprout let's out a big squeal. I didn't think there was biting involved but Sprout seems to have a small scab on her butt. There haven't been any fights as far as I'm aware. It's just hard to tell if its normal hierarchy/dominance behaviour that will hopefully pass - or a real cause for concern.

Thank you for your reply. It’s certainly what I perceive as bullying but I'm not a guinea pig! It seems to be whenever Egg (bully) ends up near Sprout (bullied) she chases her until Sprout finds an escape and often Sprout let's out a big squeal. I didn't think there was biting involved but Sprout seems to have a small scab on her butt. There haven't been any fights as far as I'm aware. It's just hard to tell if its normal hierarchy/dominance behaviour that will hopefully pass - or a real cause for concern.

Chasing, nipping and squealing are all normal dominance but you should not be finding bite wounds.

We have 4 piggys and my smallest one rusty is pushed around I'd say but is not bitten and they don't physically fight but she's definitely bottom of the pack. There is a hierarchy with guinea pigs and some dominace behaviour to establish who is boss is normal.

We have 4 piggys and my smallest one rusty is pushed around I'd say but is not bitten and they don't physically fight but she's definitely bottom of the pack. There is a hierarchy with guinea pigs and some dominace behaviour to establish who is boss is normal.

Hi and welcome
If you are not sure, then please follow the advice in this link to work out how Rusty is feeling about it. it is the best way of getting an honest opinion from your piggy, as to whether they want to still be with their mates or whether they are happier away.
I use this method whenever I have issues in one of my own groups to work out whether a bond is still viable or not: Bonds In Trouble

Please make sure that the wounds are not self-inflicted (potential skin parasites etc.)

Back