Advice? Grieving & New Companion

SerenityMom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sorry this is so long........Hello this is my first time posting and looking for some advice. I recently lost a piggie that was one of 2 males (Bugsy). My other piggie (Clyde) doesn't seem to be missing him. Clyde is a bit over a year old and they were together since Clyde was a baby. They got along and didn't really fight but never seemed really close. I don't want him to be alone but am nervous about getting another male then having to separate them if the bonding doesn't work. He seems to be doing really good, activity and appetite both. Also, his personality is very outgoing, not aggressive but he is a bit pushy.

My husband was in the process of custom putting together a larger habitat when Bugsy passed. It has the capability of being one large home or divided into 2, 3 or 4 smaller homes with each being 12 square feet, using dividers. For a total of 48 square feet.

Also note I live in a very small town in the US and options are very limited for me. Meet and greets not an option. Basically once I commit to a piggie (or more) I am responsible, no trial.

My question is what the best option? Opinions?
1. Get a male and hope for the best?
2. Get a male baby and hope once puberty hits they still get along, if not then separate?
3. Separate the cage into sections and get some females where they can be neighbors but not together? 2 females? 3 females?

Since the habitat has so much versatility I feel overwhelmed by options. I want what is best for Clyde I just don't know what that is. Thank you for reading and any advice.

I’m sorry for your loss.

As you don’t have the option to date, then options 2 or 3 would be best.
Attempt a bonding with a younger piggy and hope it works out for the long term. Separating and living as neighbours if not.
If you get sows to live as neighbours, that is acceptable also but you must make sure the dividers between the enclosures are high and secure - a boar can be determined to climb dividers to get to sows.
A 12 square foot enclosure is fine for two sows. Technically it would fit three sows but odd numbers of piggies can cause an outsider situation to occur, so with a sow trio there is a risk of two of the sows being closer and one being left out.

I’m so sorry you lost Bugsy. With regards your options, I would go for a male seeing as you have so much space. It comes down to character compatibility so age isn’t really an indicator. A young boar could be fine and they could get through the teen months together. But an older boar could also clad with him (and vice versa). I think whatever you go for, you just have to try. If it doesn’t work, they can live side by side. This is the next best thing and works well for quite a few piggies on here.

Your other option could be to neuter Clyde. And once he’s past the 6 week wait, you could try and bond him with a sow or three.

I know that rescues are hard to come by in the US. Nonetheless, have a look at the link below and see if there are any within reasonable travel distance from you.

Good luck and feel free to start a thread when you are doing the bonding. Several members have had a running thread as they bonded piggies, for support and guidance 🙃

Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

Thanks for the replies, also wanted to note neutering Clyde or finding a spayed female is not an option no one anywhere near does GP spaying/neutering. Also the dividers are to the top of the habitat and attach, so no jumping over.

Welcome to the forum.
So sorry that you lost Bugsy.
Given the practicalities of where you live, and lack of vets offering to neuter or spay, then a baby boar does sound like best option.

Hope things work out well for you.
As @Siikibam suggested, a dedicated thread when start bonding is a good idea. I did that and it was very helpful.

Thanks for the replies, also wanted to note neutering Clyde or finding a spayed female is not an option no one anywhere near does GP spaying/neutering. Also the dividers are to the top of the habitat and attach, so no jumping over.
Than your three options are all open. All the best and do let us know how you get on. We’re rooting for you both 🙂

Sorry this is so long........Hello this is my first time posting and looking for some advice. I recently lost a piggie that was one of 2 males (Bugsy). My other piggie (Clyde) doesn't seem to be missing him. Clyde is a bit over a year old and they were together since Clyde was a baby. They got along and didn't really fight but never seemed really close. I don't want him to be alone but am nervous about getting another male then having to separate them if the bonding doesn't work. He seems to be doing really good, activity and appetite both. Also, his personality is very outgoing, not aggressive but he is a bit pushy.

My husband was in the process of custom putting together a larger habitat when Bugsy passed. It has the capability of being one large home or divided into 2, 3 or 4 smaller homes with each being 12 square feet, using dividers. For a total of 48 square feet.

Also note I live in a very small town in the US and options are very limited for me. Meet and greets not an option. Basically once I commit to a piggie (or more) I am responsible, no trial.

My question is what the best option? Opinions?
1. Get a male and hope for the best?
2. Get a male baby and hope once puberty hits they still get along, if not then separate?
3. Separate the cage into sections and get some females where they can be neighbors but not together? 2 females? 3 females?

Since the habitat has so much versatility I feel overwhelmed by options. I want what is best for Clyde I just don't know what that is. Thank you for reading and any advice.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss. Your best options would be 2-3 next door sows - Clyde would love to woo them; I am sure; especially if you place a hay tray for them to browse and nap in by the divider...

Alternatively, another bereaved adult piggy for next door companionship would be another option. Another local single or bereaved boy over 18 months, ideally over 2 years may at the best decide that they would like to live with Clyde, but could in any case be a living alongside mate without any teenage worries.

You can only ever go for what is around and doable where you are at the time but at least it sounds like your setup is flexible and large enough. Go for what you feel is best for Clyde and our own situation.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Here is some very practical advice what to keep an eye out for and check for with new pet shop or free-ads piggies from a place a like petfinder, for instance.
Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
New Guinea Pig Problems: Sexing & Pregnancy; URI, Ringworm & Parasites; Vet Checks & Customer Rights

Please take your time to thinks things through and go with what your belly is telling; that way you will be happiest for the long term. As long as Clyde is eating and drinking, he will hold. He will be doing his own mourning and should be given the space to do it unless he is pining acutely.

Back