• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice for rescue pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I have a little boy who is about 8 months old and he sneezes and he has got what looks like conjunctivitis. This was mild in one of his eyes but now he has it in both. He is bedded on paper as I thought it was the bedding that he was on. When he came to me he had been living for 12 weeks in a hamster cage and the bedding wasnt very clean. Any ideas what this could be, he will be going to the vets, but just wanted your thoughts?

Mary

I think I read on guinea lynx that runny eyes and sneezing could be possible symptoms of an URI. Not 100% sure though. That would be my first guess.

:-[ I think I have asked this question before but totally forgotten what it means :-[ But what is URI? ?
I hope he gets better soon. Sorry I cant give advice only new to guinea pigs :)

afaik, runny eyes and sneezing are the first signs of a cold, which should be treated soon with antibiotics as it gets them down so quickly.. I have seen how fast it can turn into pneumonia. :(

Obviously there could be some other problems aswell, so if you think its more likely to be conjunctivitis,
I think a trip to the vets cant be avoided.

Are there any other obvious things? Are the eyes slightly swollen, or reddish, and how does the fluid look like that comes out of his eyes?

Could be a URI as others have said but my first thought is allergies.

My Sumo is allergic to everything - washing powder, hay, straw - you name it really and his symptoms get very much like those described.

I'd try eliminating different aspects and see if it improves. Also monitor carefully incase it is a cold - sudafed will help in either case.

Re: Advice for rescue pig UPDATE

Just been cleaning Albert out and getting things ready to take him work as his eyes and breathing are not right. He is holding his leg up when he walks and isnt putting any weight on it. How can you tell if its broke or just sore. I have put him on towels so he isnt slipping about. Poor little fella feel so sorry for him as hes spent the last 12 weeks in a hamster cage.

Mary

Re: Advice for rescue pig UPDATE

Mary said:
Just been cleaning Albert out and getting things ready to take him work as his eyes and breathing are not right. He is holding his leg up when he walks and isnt putting any weight on it. How can you tell if its broke or just sore. I have put him on towels so he isnt slipping about. Poor little fella feel so sorry for him as hes spent the last 12 weeks in a hamster cage.

Mary

It does sound as though he has some kind of infection going on there, I'm sure you are doing it already Mary, but keep him away from your other guineas. Hopefuly a course of antibiotics will help to sort him out. The limping may be indicative of a vitamin C deficiency (this can cause sore and swollen joints), so supplementing him via syringe with a soluble version of this might help, it will also boost his immune system a little. If his diet has been poor in the past, a little extra vit C won't hurt him. Obviously get him eating his greens too :)

It's unlikely he has broken a bone in your care, if he has just started linping. Though it could be from an old injury. A recently broken leg would generally present with acute pain, swelling around the break and an animal really reluctant to move. Though symptoms would depend where the break was and type. As we know guineas are "good" at hiding their symptoms. Hope he is okay and soon feeling better.

Barbara

Thanks barbara,
Will let you know what the vet says later. I do know that he was having proper gp food, I'm in credit at the moment at the vets! I bet that will change soon!

Mary

I suspect the leg is a sprain from getting over excited by having all that room to play after so long cramped up. I've seen it lots of times in pigs that have been cramped up - their muscles just can't cope with the change very well.

He does sound like he has had a hard time - give him a kiss from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back