Advice For An Owner With Chronic Pain?

Satin

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

I don't yet have guinea pigs but I just bought all of the essentials and I'm getting 2 as soon as I can!
My only concern is that I deal with chronic pain in my feet and, consequently, chronic fatigue. I'm not majorly concerned and I'm going to make sure my piggies get all the love and care they need despite any problems, unless something severe comes up, which is highly unlikely given the situation. I guess I'm just nervous and would appreciate any tips you guys have to lighten the load of caring for piggies! Anything helps. Little tricks you've learned over the years or whatever else.

Thank you! <3

Hi, piggies made great companions. I would suggest having them indoors so they are near to you. I find using fleece in their cage is less work than a disposable bedding that has to be shoveled in and out, then carried to the bin, but fleece does mean more washing (need an absorbent layer underneath, that can be disposable or washable). Need to think about the right height for you too.

I sometimes use a cat hi dry to pick them up. I discovered this when I put the hi dry in their run outside. They all jumped in it, and when it started raining, I just tipped it back, held the front closed and carried all 3 at once. (A bit of a guinea pig bundle but they don't seem to mind too much). I'm thinking this might be useful as it means you're not bending and chasing, but also it gives you a hand free for balance and they're not wriggling in your arms. I don't know if that would help you, but it's a thought. This is the sort of thing I mean,although for some reason I got the US version of eBay. Foldable Leopard Print Pet House Kennel Dog Cat Bed Cave Tent | eBay

I would suggest indoor c&c cage on a table if you can (i.e if you have the space and no other animals that would appreciate easy access to your piggies. I have a chronic pain condition and used to have daily pain of varying degrees along with the fatigue. Not needing to bend down or reach into a cage would be easiest.

Keep the cage all on one level and also talk to family and friends. Do you have anyone who would be willing to step in and help if you had a particularly bad flare? Before my surgery I struggled with the two storey hutch. My mum has been known to walk up to mine to help me clean them out when my partner is working away

Also, piggies need to eat some fresh vegetables each day...for me that involves two grocery deliveries a week.

You have already got some good advice!

Have your guinea pigs on a table or at least a low chest of drawers (if necessary get a plywood sheet to accommodate the cage if the furniture available is a bit too narrow or short) so the cage is easily accessible for you and you can see them at head height when sitting or lying down.
You might research into C&C cages and fleece bedding with a disposible puppy pad underlay for easier and quick cleaning with a box for the hay into which you cut an entrance, but which prevents too much mess being carried into the main area. Hay should make 80% or more of the daily food intake, so it is important.

I have some of my piggies on a cheap Ikea linnmon 75 x 150 cm table; it takes a cale wired 2x4 C&C grid cage. You can use the area below for storing your piggy stuff, like the bedding, hay, pellets, herbal treats, a little lidded wastepaper basket for the daily poo patrol etc...

Do you have a back-up person who could help you with cleaning or feeding if you are not well enough?

If you can, please consider getting guinea pigs from a good no-kill rescue with mandatory medical care (recommended rescues whose standard we can guarantee for below). This means that you only get guinea pigs that are perfectly healthy, properly sexed (which you cannot necessarily count on with shop or breeder pigs), well bonded and - if you have special requirements - suitable for you. In your case, you might actually prefer a pair of laid-back adults that are used to being picked up and handled, and that love snuggling up with you, as I assume that is what you are looking for in guinea pigs most?
By far not all piggies actually like this and wiggly youngsters may be a bit taxing for you! Shop and breeder piggies usually haven't had much in the way of friendly human interaction and need several weeks of coming round first. They are also usually not personality matched, so it is your potluck whether they get on (this goes for siblings as well as non-related piggies). If you go on the free-ads, it is at your own risk. People wanting to get rid of their guinea pigs can be amazingly economic with the truth, as a number of our members have found out the hard way.
By going rescue, it also means that you have the rescue to fall back on if your condition should worsen at some point and you can no longer cope, so you do not have to worry about your piggies ending up in the wrong hands.
The adoption process may take longer, but it is really worth it if you or a family/friend can get to one of these good standard guinea pig rescues in your state; you can neatly avoid all the usual pitfalls that await the unwary newbie. Our care advice complies with and surpasses minimal welfare standards, so you won't fail on that score. Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

You may find these links here helpful in doing your research, so you have some more realistic ideas at what keeping guinea pigs involved. You are getting social personalities that are every bit as complicated as humans, and not living cuddly toys. Please also make sure that you save up for vet care weekly, as you will need to be able to pay upfront. Illness and emergencies never happen at a good time and vet care is NOT cheap - in fact it is the biggest expense in a pet budget. There is nothing as heart-breaking and upsetting than seeing your pet suffer or die from some treatable.
Quick Information Bundle For Wannabe Owners
New Owners' Online Starter " Booklet" For Really Helpful Advice

Excellent advice so far. I would also suggest getting a good back up carer for them in case you sre ill or just need a break.

Actually, I think pigs would be a good pet for someone with chronic pain. You don't have to walk them, generally they will be content to sit on a knee and relax, they aren't heavy to lift, etc. I would think the main thing would be to make the cage as easy to clean out as possible- others have given good advice here. Keep the cage at table level to minimize bending and squatting. You'll have to decide what kind of bedding is best for you... fleece requires more laundry, but paper bedding is more costly over time and requires you to scoop it all out and throw it away on at least a weekly basis, so you'll have to determine which is going to be easiest for you. Best of luck with your new pigs!

I think @gizzy finds vetbed is good. I have outside piggies and have newspaper and hay which I clean out once or twice a week depending on whether my lot have been out on the grass or not.

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone! I appreciate it a ton.

I would suggest having them indoors so they are near to you. I find using fleece in their cage is less work than a disposable bedding that has to be shoveled in and out, then carried to the bin, but fleece does mean more washing (need an absorbent layer underneath, that can be disposable or washable). Need to think about the right height for you too.
I would suggest indoor c&c cage on a table if you can... Not needing to bend down or reach into a cage would be easiest.
Keep the cage all on one level and also talk to family and friends.
Have your guinea pigs on a table or at least a low chest of drawers (if necessary get a plywood sheet to accommodate the cage if the furniture available is a bit too narrow or short) so the cage is easily accessible for you and you can see them at head height when sitting or lying down.
Actually, I think pigs would be a good pet for someone with chronic pain. You don't have to walk them, generally they will be content to sit on a knee and relax, they aren't heavy to lift, etc. I would think the main thing would be to make the cage as easy to clean out as possible- others have given good advice here. Keep the cage at table level to minimize bending and squatting. You'll have to decide what kind of bedding is best for you... fleece requires more laundry, but paper bedding is more costly over time and requires you to scoop it all out and throw it away on at least a weekly basis, so you'll have to determine which is going to be easiest for you. Best of luck with your new pigs!

I was actually planning on putting them in my closet (it's pretty spacious, and I was also going to do 2 stories) on the floor, though I do have a bench I can sit them on if that's best. My cage will be C&C with fleece bedding and towels underneath, easier for me. I was thinking floor because bending over isn't necessarily a problem for me. It's just the standing that's a problem. I'd rather be sitting on the ground, bending over, to clean their cage than standing. Idk if I mentioned, my chronic pain affects my feet so any pressure on them causes them to burn pretty much immediately, and it gets worse as time passes. Should I try bench first though, just to see, and move it down if I have to?
I also have a table I can put them on, but my concern is that table is, and has to remain, in the guest bedroom, and if I had guests, I'd have to move the guinea pigs out.

I sometimes use a cat hidey to pick them up. I discovered this when I put the hidey in their run outside. They all jumped in it, and when it started raining, I just tipped it back, held the front closed and carried all 3 at once. (A bit of a guinea pig bundle but they don't seem to mind too much). I'm thinking this might be useful as it means you're not bending and chasing, but also it gives you a hand free for balance and they're not wriggling in your arms. I don't know if that would help you, but it's a thought. This is the sort of thing I mean,although for some reason I got the US version of eBay. Foldable Leopard Print Pet House Kennel Dog Cat Bed Cave Tent | eBay
Oooo mine love a those. I have a small one and two can fit in there at once. As I can't sew I got some extra pee pads from Ziggys Piggys at a very reasonable cost and swap them over all the time. The pad it came with was useless.
Here is the link I got them from:-
Soft Strawberry Pet Igloo Dog Cat Bed House Kennel Doggy Fashion Cushion Basket | eBay

That is useful! To pick up my hamster, I always used something like a tube she liked to be in or her food bowl so I wasn't chasing her around too. I actually already bought the strawberry pet igloo too! I didn't think to get any pee pads for inside of it though, I'll make sure to do that. But great idea, thanks guys!

You might research into C&C cages and fleece bedding with a disposible puppy pad underlay for easier and quick cleaning with a box for the hay into which you cut an entrance, but which prevents too much mess being carried into the main area. Hay should make 80% or more of the daily food intake, so it is important.
Also, piggies need to eat some fresh vegetables each day...for me that involves two grocery deliveries a week.

I am doing this, but with towels under the fleece. No worries, I bought a hay holder and a ton of hay, and know to keep it filled and clean. I've also done a ton of research on diet, daily tasks, weekly tasks, health info, etc. I also know how important veggies are, getting those won't be too difficult doing it myself, or delivery from a friend or service. :)

If you can, please consider getting guinea pigs from a good no-kill rescue with mandatory medical care (recommended rescues whose standard we can guarantee for below). This means that you only get guinea pigs that are perfectly healthy, properly sexed (which you cannot necessarily count on with shop or breeder pigs), well bonded and - if you have special requirements - suitable for you. In your case, you might actually prefer a pair of laid-back adults that are used to being picked up and handled, and that love snuggling up with you, as I assume that is what you are looking for in guinea pigs most?
By far not all piggies actually like this and wiggly youngsters may be a bit taxing for you! Shop and breeder piggies usually haven't had much in the way of friendly human interaction and need several weeks of coming round first. They are also usually not personality matched, so it is your potluck whether they get on (this goes for siblings as well as non-related piggies). If you go on the free-ads, it is at your own risk. People wanting to get rid of their guinea pigs can be amazingly economic with the truth, as a number of our members have found out the hard way.
By going rescue, it also means that you have the rescue to fall back on if your condition should worsen at some point and you can no longer cope, so you do not have to worry about your piggies ending up in the wrong hands.
The adoption process may take longer, but it is really worth it if you or a family/friend can get to one of these good standard guinea pig rescues in your state; you can neatly avoid all the usual pitfalls that await the unwary newbie. Our care advice complies with and surpasses minimal welfare standards, so you won't fail on that score. Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

I actually would love to get guinea pigs from a rescue. I would prefer laid back piggies, as it'd be easier on me, but I kind of also wanted the experience of raising little babies into adults so I guess I'm a bit torn there. I'm also concerned about the adoption process because I do get very easily worn out. I work during the day for as long as I can take it physically, and luckily my boss is very understanding, but after work I'm pretty much out of commission for doing things outside of the house. Taking care of pets is fine, I did well with my hamster and am doing well with my 2 dogs, but those things happen inside of the house, in the front, or on the back patio / grass. In the off chance I have to go buy more groceries or toys or whatever else, I do it as quick as possible. Being social and going out takes a lot out of me. Do you happen to have an idea of what the adoption process would be like?

I think @gizzy finds vetbed is good. I have outside piggies and have newspaper and hay which I clean out once or twice a week depending on whether my lot have been out on the grass or not.

Ohh, I've never heard of that. It looks great and so soft ahhh. I already have fleece coming in tho :D

Thanks for all of the advice again guys, I really appreciate it. :luv::luv::luv:

I think if standing is more problematic than sitting down, floor level would be fine. Mine are at floor level... it's not a drafty area and we've had two generations of pigs there for years! As an added bonus, we can put down the gate and let them come and go as they please for floor time!

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone! I appreciate it a ton.

I was actually planning on putting them in my closet (it's pretty spacious, and I was also going to do 2 stories) on the floor, though I do have a bench I can sit them on if that's best. My cage will be C&C with fleece bedding and towels underneath, easier for me. I was thinking floor because bending over isn't necessarily a problem for me. It's just the standing that's a problem. I'd rather be sitting on the ground, bending over, to clean their cage than standing. Idk if I mentioned, my chronic pain affects my feet so any pressure on them causes them to burn pretty much immediately, and it gets worse as time passes. Should I try bench first though, just to see, and move it down if I have to?
I also have a table I can put them on, but my concern is that table is, and has to remain, in the guest bedroom, and if I had guests, I'd have to move the guinea pigs out.

That is useful! To pick up my hamster, I always used something like a tube she liked to be in or her food bowl so I wasn't chasing her around too. I actually already bought the strawberry pet igloo too! I didn't think to get any pee pads for inside of it though, I'll make sure to do that. But great idea, thanks guys!

I am doing this, but with towels under the fleece. No worries, I bought a hay holder and a ton of hay, and know to keep it filled and clean. I've also done a ton of research on diet, daily tasks, weekly tasks, health info, etc. I also know how important veggies are, getting those won't be too difficult doing it myself, or delivery from a friend or service. :)

I actually would love to get guinea pigs from a rescue. I would prefer laid back piggies, as it'd be easier on me, but I kind of also wanted the experience of raising little babies into adults so I guess I'm a bit torn there. I'm also concerned about the adoption process because I do get very easily worn out. I work during the day for as long as I can take it physically, and luckily my boss is very understanding, but after work I'm pretty much out of commission for doing things outside of the house. Taking care of pets is fine, I did well with my hamster and am doing well with my 2 dogs, but those things happen inside of the house, in the front, or on the back patio / grass. In the off chance I have to go buy more groceries or toys or whatever else, I do it as quick as possible. Being social and going out takes a lot out of me. Do you happen to have an idea of what the adoption process would be like?

Ohh, I've never heard of that. It looks great and so soft ahhh. I already have fleece coming in tho :D

Thanks for all of the advice again guys, I really appreciate it. :luv::luv::luv:

I would recommend that you try bench height first with a chair for you, so you can sit down as much as possible and not have to crawl on your legs.

Babies are cute, but they are cute only for a few weeks!

If you want a smooth indroduction into piggydom, start with cuddly adults that can teach you the ropes first, so you can leave out the tricky, squabbly teenage months (sows can squabble, too, only that they rarely fall out during that time) and just concentrate on learning about your piggies without tackling all the problems before you get to the enjoyment. Or look for a mother-daughter or dad-son combo; there are often babies born in rescue as many sows are surrendered or found dumped pregnant. You'd be amazed at the sheer range of guinea pigs that actually fetches up in rescue! ;)

I would stongly suggest to use your commonsense and start with the easy bit first - and while babies are cute, they are also very noisy, wiggly and won't sit still for long! They are also pretty good at jumping out of your arms or hands in their desire to be back... If you want piggies for the longer term, you will at some point have youngsters and enjoy them more for what they are while they are young.

I would suggest trying them on a table first at a height you can sit on a chair and see how you get on. I find on the floor is very hard on my knees.

It seems to me that on the floor would be best. You would need to stand to change them if they were on a bench, and I find this the most taxing time.

Well done on asking advice, listening and considering everyones input. You are clearly putting a lot into the thought process behind keeping piggies and that can only ever be a good thing. At the end of the day you know your health condition best and is something isn't working well you have other suggestions you can try. I find the lower part of the hutch the hardest to clean but my chronic pain is abdominal/back and hip based so that kind of explains why :)

I would suggest trying them on a table first at a height you can sit on a chair and see how you get on. I find on the floor is very hard on my knees.
It seems to me that on the floor would be best. You would need to stand to change them if they were on a bench, and I find this the most taxing time.

I think I'll be doing floor actually :D I appreciate the ideas but turns out, I don't have a table anymore to put them on so floor is my only option anyways, and I think it'll be easier on me :+) Thanks though! ♥♥

I would recommend that you try bench height first with a chair for you, so you can sit down as much as possible and not have to crawl on your legs.

Babies are cute, but they are cute only for a few weeks!

If you want a smooth indroduction into piggydom, start with cuddly adults that can teach you the ropes first, so you can leave out the tricky, squabbly teenage months (sows can squabble, too, only that they rarely fall out during that time) and just concentrate on learning about your piggies without tackling all the problems before you get to the enjoyment. Or look for a mother-daughter or dad-son combo; there are often babies born in rescue as many sows are surrendered or found dumped pregnant. You'd be amazed at the sheer range of guinea pigs that actually fetches up in rescue! ;)

I would stongly suggest to use your commonsense and start with the easy bit first - and while babies are cute, they are also very noisy, wiggly and won't sit still for long! They are also pretty good at jumping out of your arms or hands in their desire to be back... If you want piggies for the longer term, you will at some point have youngsters and enjoy them more for what they are while they are young.

I think I will start with adults then! I was looking at rescues and it turns out the closest one to me is 4 hours away though ;/ I don't have the means to go 8 hours round trip for guinea pigs, unfortunately. Driving causes me pain and as long as that would be horrible, and I don't have anyone that would be willing to drive me. I don't see much other option than a pet shop now, which is frustrating. Do you think I can still rely on the adult guinea pigs at a pet shop to be okay?

Well done on asking advice, listening and considering everyones input. You are clearly putting a lot into the thought process behind keeping piggies and that can only ever be a good thing. At the end of the day you know your health condition best and is something isn't working well you have other suggestions you can try. I find the lower part of the hutch the hardest to clean but my chronic pain is abdominal/back and hip based so that kind of explains why :)

Ofc! I want to make sure my piggies are being taken care of very well. I set up my cage frame yesterday (fleece, towels, hideys and etc are coming tomorrow!) and it's 2x4 C&C with a 1x4 second story so hopefully that's okay and enough space for them? I'm always ready to change things but if it's needed, though I hope it's not as I like the set up I have right now. :D

Some pet shops have rescue areas where you may find an adult - likely to be a single boar though so there would be bonding to contend with. I know free ad sites aren't ideal, but you would be more likely to get a pair of adults. In either scenario you really need to check things out that a) they are properly sexed, and b) there is no chance a female could be pregnant. Either way you are relying on someone with a motive to get you to take the piggies.
Boy that sounds negative, but these are some of the reasons the forum promotes rescue. Is there an RSPCA anywhere close?

Some pet shops have rescue areas where you may find an adult - likely to be a single boar though so there would be bonding to contend with. I know free ad sites aren't ideal, but you would be more likely to get a pair of adults. In either scenario you really need to check things out that a) they are properly sexed, and b) there is no chance a female could be pregnant. Either way you are relying on someone with a motive to get you to take the piggies.
Boy that sounds negative, but these are some of the reasons the forum promotes rescue. Is there an RSPCA anywhere close?

Ooh, I'd really prefer 2 girls, if not then at least 1 girl. Bonding would be difficult for me as I don't really have any way to separate them, so my preference was to find 2 already bonded together. Ahhh, oh no. :+( I suppose I can look into some free ad sites and see what I can find. Unfortunately, I'm in Florida, there's no RSPCA's outside of the UK.

I think I'll be doing floor actually :D I appreciate the ideas but turns out, I don't have a table anymore to put them on so floor is my only option anyways, and I think it'll be easier on me :+) Thanks though! ♥♥

I think I will start with adults then! I was looking at rescues and it turns out the closest one to me is 4 hours away though ;/ I don't have the means to go 8 hours round trip for guinea pigs, unfortunately. Driving causes me pain and as long as that would be horrible, and I don't have anyone that would be willing to drive me. I don't see much other option than a pet shop now, which is frustrating. Do you think I can still rely on the adult guinea pigs at a pet shop to be okay?

Ofc! I want to make sure my piggies are being taken care of very well. I set up my cage frame yesterday (fleece, towels, hideys and etc are coming tomorrow!) and it's 2x4 C&C with a 1x4 second story so hopefully that's okay and enough space for them? I'm always ready to change things but if it's needed, though I hope it's not as I like the set up I have right now. :D

It's a pity that none of the rescues is closer to you; but it is great that you are willing to give it a try!

Some pet shops have adoption areas, but those piggies win't usually have had any medical care and are not necessarily socialised (depending on their previous owners), so you have to take your potluck there.
The same as with getting piggies from free-ads. People wanting to get rid of pets can be amazingly economical with the truth, as several forum members have found to their cost - which can get quite expensive if a piggy needs vet care or turns out to be pregnant. :(
At least with a pet shop you can reclaim any vet cost arising from issues your piggies have been clearly exposed to at the shop (skin parasites, respiratory tract or fungal skin infection/ringworm or a pregnancy caused by mixing genders at the shop or by mis-sexing) if things arise within the first couple of weeks or a pregnancy happens within 10 weeks of purchase. This does not necessarily cover any guinea pigs in the adoption areas; you will have to be careful to check about that.

It is always advisable to double check the gender upon arrival, wherever you get your guinea pigs from...
With youngsters, the best way to tell them apart is peering inside the slit below the knob. Sows have a fleshy arrangement just underneath the lip while boars go straight down. Boars have a penis ridge under the skin above the knob when feel gently, whereas sows haven't got anything there; it's just all even. These are the things that you have to check on your own. You are always welcome to post pictures in our pregnancy and sexing section for a second opinion, but sometimes it is very difficult to tell just from the picture, so you'd do well looking for those secondary signs as well as a clincher. Babies can look amazingly similar! the link below contains pictures of inside slit arrangements.
Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

I am sorry that things are not quite as easy for you, but I am wishing you all the best!
PS: Here is the Guinea Lynx list of recommended piggy savvy vets in Florida, if it is any help for you. Veterinarians: Florida - Guinea Lynx Records

Ooh, I'd really prefer 2 girls, if not then at least 1 girl. Bonding would be difficult for me as I don't really have any way to separate them, so my preference was to find 2 already bonded together. Ahhh, oh no. :+( I suppose I can look into some free ad sites and see what I can find. Unfortunately, I'm in Florida, there's no RSPCA's outside of the UK.
Sorry - didn't notice your location. I hope you weren't too badly affected by Irma!

I use puppy pads as the absorbent layer because then I can just chuck them out which is one less thing to wash/sort. I have chronic pain too (back, neck, and knees on and off to varying levels of severity). I actually have our pigs on the floor which tbh is not the best idea for me but me and my partner jointly own them and jointly clean the cage out together so I manage ok and if I have a big pain flare-up he will just do it all. If he hasn't been around for whatever reason my mam has helped out on occasion. I think it is sensible to think about whether you do have any support networks that would help if things got really bad for you (even if that would mean just paying an external pet-sitter to come and clean the cage out for you if you really couldn't manage).

If you are having them on the floor in a C & C cage, you will need to have a lid on the cage to prevent your dogs from getting in to them, as dogs can easily get hold & kill guinea pigs if they have access to them.

Back