Advice again please!

Guineapig mum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Good evening all,please could I have your advice once again please.....on my girls cage floor I used to have puppy pads then easibed on top then their hay,but they started chewing the puppy pads so immediately took these away.....I bought reusable pee pads and I have just put them back in their cage again and they are doing the same again, and I have had to remove them again because obviously eating the white plastic thing on the back won't be good for them either, so my question is what could I put on the bottom of their cage to protect the wood and soak their pee up without them chewing that aswell?
Little sods you try to give them the the best ans it feels like a bloody waste.....sorry for the long post I just don't no what else I could use.
Thank you.

Could you line with correx or lino? That would stop the pee soaking through to the wood. Then you use easibed as your usual bedding.

Are they getting to corners that are sticking out? How much easibed do you put on top?

I have actually just said about trying some lino,would they not chew the correx if they could get to that? I suppose I could only give it a try I have plenty of easibed down,once they seen the pad it was like they couldn't leave it until they had destroyed it.

Certain disposable pee pads have a scent to them to attract the pup/cat to urinate in that place. Could the pee pads have a smell that may entice them?

In the hutch I've used correx to line it, yes they chew it if you leave the edge exposed but you can get something to slide onto the top however I can't for the life of me remember what they're called.

Then just use whatever substrate you like on top. Have you got some cardboard boxes that you could use as hides? A lot of pigs like chewing them and may redirect the chewing behaviour.

One last thing to remember, guinea pigs explore with their mouths so they may not be eating it, just trying to figure out what it is

We use document binders on our correx too.
Hector has a puppy pad obsession, so any we use are fully covered by fleece tucked over the sides or clipped to the sides of the grids. His most recent obsession was to try and munch the bottom of a noodle bath mat!

Have you tried washable pads? That's what I use for my 4 and they are amazing swap them out every few days wash and dry very well no smell. See my pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20220729_125001.webp
    IMG_20220729_125001.webp
    90.9 KB · Views: 9
Back