Advice about a hutch roof please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

Can anybody please advise me on a problem I have with a hutch roof. I have been given a large hutch which is in excellent condition apart from the roof. The roof is made with the large woodchip pieces. Over the last few months it has obviously become wet and not had chance to dry. Half of it has soaked through and there is a yellow fungi growing inside and out. I have scrubbed it all off and blasted it with virkon.

Can I please have your views on what to do next. I cannot decide if to Virkon it again in a few days, try and allow it to dry and use it, or skip the whole thing. Cannot find a way of removing it and replacing the roof as it's not a simple screw it on job.

Any ideas or opinions will be appreciated.

Thank you
Claire

It should have roofing felt on it, wood will obviously just rot. The roofing felt also keeps warmth in.

I would let it dry out completely and then see what it's like. If it's sound and free from mould you could then top it with a new piece of wood and some roofing felt?

Good luck with it

Sophie
x

Thank you. I'l see if I can dry it out somehow as it's a thick board. If not, I might try and get a hammer to it I think that's going to be the only other solution. Have managed to shift the mould (and the huge spider that was attached to it ... :o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back