Adopting three bonded males from petsmart?

Je12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking into adopting three bonded males but two are from petsmart. Is there anything wrong with Guinea pigs from pet stores? She said there is no health concerns about them.

Buying from a pet shop is sometimes the only option for people and provided anybody goes in with their eyes open to the potential issues then it is their choice where they get them from. You did say in your other post that you were in discussion with an actual rescue centre - did that not work out?

Aside from potential health issues there is also the bond issue. Usually the piggies are just put together for sale with little to no regard for character compatibility. People get a pair and later find actually the pair don’t get on. They were only getting on in the shop due to being young and scared.
By far not every pet shop pair will have issues, more will live long happy lives together but it’s always something to bear in mind.

I have previously advised you about the risks involved and the exceptionally large cage sizes required to attempt a boar trio (300x100cm). Given the ages of the piggies involved you would be well advised to not attempt to bond them as a trio. Instead leave them living as a pair and a single; or just bringing home the pair and not the single.
Be aware that attempting to bond all three of them runs the risk breaking all bonds meaning the two pet shop piggies in this post also end up falling out (as well as not accepting the single) and you end up needing three separate cages with one piggy in each.

Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

I would also be less worried about health issues than about the future of the bond. Three boars is really challenging.

Buying from a pet shop is sometimes the only option for people and provided anybody goes in with their eyes open to the potential issues then it is their choice where they get them from. You did say in your other post that you were in discussion with an actual rescue centre - did that not work out?

Aside from potential health issues there is also the bond issue. Usually the piggies are just put together for sale with little to no regard for character compatibility. People get a pair and later find actually the pair don’t get on. They were only getting on in the shop due to being young and scared.
By far not every pet shop pair will have issues, more will live long happy lives together but it’s always something to bear in mind.

I have previously advised you about the risks involved and the exceptionally large cage sizes required to attempt a boar trio (300x100cm). Given the ages of the piggies involved you would be well advised to not attempt to bond them as a trio. Instead leave them living as a pair and a single; or just bringing home the pair and not the single.
Be aware that attempting to bond all three of them runs the risk breaking all bonds meaning the two pet shop piggies in this post also end up falling out (as well as not accepting the single) and you end up needing three separate cages with one piggy in each.

Rescues (Adoption and Dating), Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
There’s been a change actually😅, I have decided to not get the single male as finding him a friend is pretty challenging and the adoption center would take a little while and that would be time he’d be by himself. I am rescuing these three males from somebody in my area who is basically “kicking” them out. They have been bonded all their lives with no serious fights, only little tiny squabbles about respecting food. One Abby, one American mix, one skinny.

I would also be less worried about health issues than about the future of the bond. Three boars is really challenging.
Ik but they have been bonded all their lives with no fights and if fights do happen, I am prepared to split them up.

Edit: They also had been living in a 2x4 and no fights so I think with more space it may reduce the chance of a squabble happening by a lot.

So you’re not getting them from a pet shop then? You’re getting them from private rehoming?

How old are they?
Do be aware that changing environment will cause them to reestablish their relationship. If there are any tensions whatsoever in the bond then it can come out when moving environment and cause a breakdown. Go in with your eyes open whenever you are rehoming unwanted piggies privately.

So you’re not getting them from a pet shop then? You’re getting them from private rehoming?

How old are they?
Do be aware that changing environment will cause them to reestablish their relationship. If there are any tensions whatsoever in the bond then it can come out when moving environment and cause a breakdown. Go in with your eyes open whenever you are rehoming unwanted piggies privately.
I am getting them from a private rehoming yes, but two of the piggies had been adopted from a pet store. They are between 7 months, and the other two close to a year.

I am getting them from a private rehoming yes, but two of the piggies had been adopted from a pet store. They are between 7 months, and the other two close to a year.

So they’re all still teenagers.
How long have they actually been together as a trio then?
Do just be aware of the risks and prepare to separate.

So they’re all still teenagers.
How long have they actually been together as a trio then?
Do just be aware of the risks and prepare to separate.
They’ve been a trio since babies/ a couple weeks old and I’ve ordered plenty of extra grids in case I have to break them all up but it seems like hopefully that won’t be the case.

The thing is that bonds between such young pigs aren't stable. We had a dramatic breakdown with ours! I wish you all the best with it, but do be prepared that you might end up having to separate them. If they were older (say 2 years or more) then I might be more confident, but they're all at a difficult age.

I have to agree with cheekypigs.
Boar trios stand a better chance if they are all older and testosterone has fizzled out - at least 4 years of age. At that point it becomes about companionship and not dominance (teenagers are all about dominance and hierarchy).
Fingers crossed they are one of the rare exceptions but to prepare for them not to be.

Thank you guys for the advice🙏🏾 I am willing to break them up just in case they do fight

Good luck, you are taking a risk that their bond make not work for very long, but if you are prepared to split them if it fails then at least you are aware and can monitor them closely. Do have a plan B worked out if they all fall out
Good on you for giving them a forever home, I hope it goes well

Thanks everyone for the help and preparing me for what I’m taking on🙏🏾

I got my old guinea pig, (rip) she came from Petsmart with a fungal infection. Make sure you do see any crusty gunk on eyes

I have 3 boys. Finn and Bear live together and Ben lives right next to my two boys.

My Finn came from PetSmart, and he will be 7 yo this year. He has always been very healthy, so I am hoping he lives to be 10 yo or more.

Bear on the other hand, came from Petco, and I took him to the emergency right after he came to live with us. Dr. Jayne said he had Upper Respiratory Infection and prescribed Baytril 2X a day for 10 days. Dr. Jayne is my boys' doctor and she knows my Finn and Bear.
Bear is now 2 yo and very heathy.

Back