Adopting Guinea Pigs For The First Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoeyLacey

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! So I'm finally going to be getting guinea pigs for my birthday! So lately for the past few weeks of been on site after site of information for caring for them so I think I'm up to date with most things. I do go high school but they will be allowed to come out when I'm home. My parents are aware of the possibility of having to pay for vet trips and such. But at the moment my biggest concern is the heat. I live in Melbourne Australia and it's ridiculously hot! When I'm home I can turn on the AC and other fans around the house but I'm worried about when I'm at school and how to keep them cool until I get home. Here it's becoming 30 - 43 degrees Celsius daily and I've read about how over 30 degrees Celsius can make guinea pigs have heat strokes etc. Any ideas or tips for keeping them cool somehow? And they will be housed indoors.

Can you keep the AC on all day? That would be the best thing to do.

If not, provide them with a few frozen bottles that they can lie against when they get hot. They need to be large enough that they won't melt too quickly. You could also put some ice cubes in their water bottle/bowl, and put a ceramic tile in the cage so they can lie on it as bedding/fleece can sometimes get hot.

Yes use large 2 litre or 3 litre plastic bottles nearly full of water that have been frozen in the freezer overnight. If you wrap these in an old towel they'll be nice for the piggies to lie against or near to if they get hot. Also plenty of fresh drinking water each morning & if they're in direct sunlight then either mover their cage to shaded area or keep curtains or blinds shut. When you get in on an afternoon give then slices of cold cucumber from the fridge, it's their equivalent of an ice lolly. Also as PiggieLove mentioned ceramic tiles are good for them to sit on if they get too warm.

Good luck with your piggies and well done for researching first.They are wonderful animals and you will be smitten hymn very quickly.Don't be disheartened if they are a bit nervous at first, it takes time for them to trust you but it's worth it

Thank you all for the advice! Frozen bottles and a ceramic tile to keep the cool sounds great! My parents are all for saving electricity but I'm sure I can leave a fan on or something. Thanks again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back