Adopting A Cat?

Kate187

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been thinking about rescuing an older cat (9+ years) but obviously my guins were here first and I need to make sure they will be ok.

Since losing my girls I have 2 pigs, Finn and Effie. They live in my living room in a large C&C cage but if I adopted a cat they would be moved into my bedroom.

Any thoughts?

I personally wouldn't risk it. Not unless you know the cat will not want to hunt your piggies as you will be putting them at risk. However If you really want a cat I would suggest a roof for the C&c as a precaution. As sometimes people forget to shut doors.

I personally wouldn't risk it. Not unless you know the cat will not want to hunt your piggies as you will be putting them at risk. However If you really want a cat I would suggest a roof for the C&c as a precaution. As sometimes people forget to shut doors.

Yes if I were to go ahead I'd get a lid, and the door to my bedroom would be shut whenever I'm out.

Some people may keep cats and piggies quite well together. I've not got any experience with cats and piggies. But I do know some cats like to hunt whereas others don't.

It's like my dog (jack russell terrier) a lot of people said don't get piggies as the dog will want to eat them. My piggies are in a C&c cage on a folding table so out of the dogs reach. Also the dog is never left unsupervised with the piggies and if we r out he's in living room with a baby gate up. That said Max doesn't bother with the Guinea pigs or hamster and is actually quite scared of them. Lol.

Yeh I think a big part of it would be the nature of the individual cat, whether it is a hunter or not. I would only get an older cat that has always been indoors, and this would help I think.

So long as you take the precautionary steps ie a lid on cage and supervision. Don't let the cat be near the guinea pigs if they're out of the cage I don't see a problem. I'd have thought it's exactly the same as dogs- and I have a dog. Used to have 2 cats but not when I owned piggies. :) that's a nice idea to adopt an older cat too.

I have a guest cat now at home; she is a female cat belonging to a friend who is now on holidays. The cat is kind and gentle, but her instict comes out and we are very busy now... it is necessary to close the cat in a part of the flat when piggies have their floor time. Of course the problems here is that the cage is open; if you adopt the cat you will close your C&C and you will have no troubles. But be aware of the fact that the cat's leg is long enough and can reach the piggies from the holes of the cage... You need to organise everything carefully.
This female cat does not want to attack the piggies, but she would only like to make them RUN... they are fluffy toys...
I am having some trouble, but only because my piggies live free most of the day and the kitchen (without any door) is their preferred (and safest) room. If your pigies live into your closed bedroom I don't see any problem...
Look:
100_7549.webp
100_7547.webp

100_7583.webp
100_7593.webp
100_7595.webp
for me it is difficult... a convivence between cats and piggies is a challenge here. But it is possible... with some organisation and closed doors.
The pics I am sharing with you are for showing you the behaviour and the instinct of a gentle cat who never uses her paws with anybody. But it is a cat! and piggies are interesting toys. (while I was writing this post the cat managed to open the door and go to the piggies who are still free in the kitchen!)

I have cats and pigs and have a lid on my c &c cage and have a commercial cage.There has been a couple of times when I've forgotten to shut my boys cage and when I've went in one of the cats is asleep in their cage(my cats love fleece lol).Luckily my cats aren't too bothered by the pigs but you can never be too careful as I have one cat who I have no doubt would injure my pigs if she got the chance x

If you have the space to keep them separated all the time if the cat turns out to be the hunting type, and are prepared to take daily precautions anyways, I think you absolutely should adopt a cat! I have two, and while I'm fortunate that they're hardly interested in the pigs, I keep them separated anytime I'm not home, or any time the pigs are having floor time. An older cat is such a lovely idea.. there's something so special about opening up your home to a senior animal. Here's my Peaches, adopted a year ago this month! We think she's around 11 :luv: She sleeps on my chest at night and I'm so happy every day that she's here.

20170523_230945.webp

14359154_10205944467284360_8031034774661095118_n.webp

I had a Birman that wasn't afraid of anything... the moment she came home from the shelter she strut around the house and bit my brother! Not a great first impression :D She was the sassiest thing but when it came to my childhood friend's guinea pig she was such a weakling. Very scared... bowed down to Cinnamon the Piggy like she was her greatest servant!
My advice to you is to go for a senior kitty (I volunteer at a rescue and everybody overlooks them just because they're old. Save a cat in need!) They rarely go after anything more than a jar of catnip. Also, see if you can ask the people at the shelter about their experience with the cat's prey drive. I completely agree with everyone else on keeping them away from each other just in case. You never know what a curious cat might do.

Yes they would definitely be kept apart. Guins locked in my room while I'm out and when I'm in either locked apart, or cat in the same room as the cage if I am there too. And a lid for the cage!

There is a 14 year old ginger boy I have my eye on..

i have a 7 year old cat,Katie.She does not bother the piggies ,she does not hunt.but my cages havev lids and spare bedroom door is shut.it can work well.i would advise if piggies and a cat is in the same room supervise any time piggies are out of the cage.:)

Any thoughts on piggies being lonely if moved from the living room to bedroom? They have been each other and I'd still spend time with them but they wouldn't have the usual background company.

So I've said yes to a very sweet 14 year old boy, picking him up on Saturday morning.

Guins will be in my room til I know what's what, then potentially moving back into the living room but with a lid.

Ahhh Great! Cats are just as sweet as piggies can be!
Defo reccomend a lid!
Ask the rescue if they know anything about the litter, and if their mother was a hunter.
usually they get the genes of a hunter if the mother is a hunter, or if she taught the kitty!

Ask the rescue if they know anything about the litter, and if their mother was a hunter.
usually they get the genes of a hunter if the mother is a hunter, or if she taught the kitty!

He's 14 years old so no idea about his litter as it was so long ago haha. He apparently sleeps most of the time and is slowing down a lot. But yes I'll be getting a lid.

Back