Additional housing

• Thread starter Thread starter teabag
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

teabag

Just seeking a bit of advice for planning purposes...

We have two piggies at the moment and we keep them in a P@H parsley den http://www.petsathome.com/invt/13196 and a run which is 6ft by 3ft by 18". I would like to add two more to the brood, and wanted a bit of advice.

If we bought another hutch of parsley den proportions for them, but used the same run for them all would that be sufficient? We currently have a neutered boar and whole sow. Was thinking of adding two more sows.

Obviously with the right introductions, would it be a problem for them to share the run?

I think that will be more than okay! :)

I know someone (sorry cant thhhink who) cut a whole in the ends of 2 hutches to create one big hutch, so they could live together too...I dont know if you would be interested in doing that though....

But anyway, yeah I think that will be a good arrangement! O0

Oh cool! thats good to know...

Good idea about 'combining' two hutches. Trouble is there is only one shaded bit in our garden, next to the shed so i was thinking of stacking them on top of each other. Would that be ok do you think? Obviously we would secure them so they couldn't fall over or anything. Failing that, can you buy multi-story hutches? I'm guessing so!

Yep or you can get 2 or 3 level hutches with ramps :)
I have seen some good priced ones on ebay.

And yeah, sorry you can get two or 3 leveled hutches, then you could prob sell the old one to put some money towards it (if you keep all 4 together)

I think its really nice to have a group :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I would go for a double hutch with a upstairs down stairs plus add your run. It is nice having a group living together I have 6 piggies in a large 3 tier hutch my hubby built the 3rd tier on top and it didnt cost much at al ,l :) I also have 3 boars who live in a smaller 3 tier hutch which I got from the local ads for 70 quid plus a run so It may be worth looking around :)

I do like the idea of them being all together, maybe i could get my chap to adapt ours so we can add a level.....!

Thanks for all the advice :D

ahhhh, me too, i have 2 pairs of sows and boars, initially i had one boar with 2 sows, one sow died at 6 months so i rehomed another female, but my original female picked on the newest one, so i had to take the bully out and rehomed another neutered boar for her to live with.it has all worked out fine. they are living happily ever after.

Blimey - can that happen then? My sow at the moment is very timid, and quite small for a piggie I think (well compared to our massive boar!). I am a bit apprehensive about putting more in with her just in case one of the new sows bullies her. It would break my heart i had to move my first born (as it were) :(

More thought needed I think! Well..anyway, by OH has said we cant have them til after our honeymoon. Which makes sense. But its not til April! SO far away :( :(

it's very rare for sows not to get along, but i am sure if you keep them seperate to start with and give them gradual
floor time every day then they should be fine to put together. good luck x

With alllll the sows we have, and that have come and gone to new homes we have NEVER had a sow not accept another, please dont worry, sows are very easily bonded O0

yes perfectpiggies is right,like i said it's really rare for girls not to get along. x don't worry

My sows sometimes have a squabble but its not often its only beause they kick each other when they are popcorning ! ;D ;D

It is rare that Sows do not get along but it can happen but its not impossiable to bond them. Hils78 had two Sows that where dreadful a neutered boar sorted them out :) I had problems with my two Sows and they had thier moments ::) a neutered boar did not solve it and the Sow that had been picked on decided to gang up on the bully Sow with the boar ::) they all live together now happily it took some time but things worked out in the end. I hear even numbered groups are better together ;)

OOoO thats really interesting about the even number......that makes a lot of sense actually! O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back