Adding young sow to males?

loosypig

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey y’all! I’ve got two bonded boars that are getting neutered next week. They’re about 5/6 months. I’ve been thinking about adding a young female from a local rescue well after the boys have healed. Any experience with 2 neutered males and adding a baby sow? My boys are good with each other, I’ve just never bonded M/F before. My old herd was 9 females that I bonded together over a very long time. Advice and experience appreciated!

Hiya I think from what I’ve read that you can have one male per females, if you put two males together with females then fight between males will start.

:wel:

I’m afraid adding any sows in with a bonded pair of boars will cause the boys to fight.
A bonded pair of boars cannot have any other piggies added in with them (not even another boar - three boars will also end in fights).

Trios or larger herds only work either as all sows or one neutered boar with any number of sows.
So either you need to keep the boars as they are, just as the two of them (they don’t need to be neutered to live as a boar pair), or you need to split the boys up into separate cages and then have a sow in with each boar (they cannot be with a sow each until 6 weeks after they are neutered).

If you want the boys to stay together but want more piggies, then you will need to get a separate pair of piggies.
If you particularly want a separate sow pair, then be aware that putting sows into the same room as a boar pair can also cause the boars a great reaction to sow pheromones and potential fights. It is advised that sows are not added to a boars only room. If you do decide to have a separate pair of sows, then the sows cage need to be as far away from the boys as possible or stacked with the sows at the bottom so the boars have less exposure to sow pheromones, and always ensuring you handle the boars first.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Last edited:
please don’t add any piggies to your bonded pair, it will end in disaster. You would need to split of bonded pair and then match up each boar with a female and of course separate cages

Hey y’all! I’ve got two bonded boars that are getting neutered next week. They’re about 5/6 months. I’ve been thinking about adding a young female from a local rescue well after the boys have healed. Any experience with 2 neutered males and adding a baby sow? My boys are good with each other, I’ve just never bonded M/F before. My old herd was 9 females that I bonded together over a very long time. Advice and experience appreciated!

Hi

Please don't. It is the most sure-fire recipe for fights and fall-outs, especially as your boys as .
If you want cross gender piggy groups, you can only keep one neutered boar per any number of bonded sows. If your boys are happy with each other, please don't rock the boat and leave them be as they are and wait with getting a sow companion after one of them has passed away. Until then, any solution will mean two cages and ideally two mixed gender pairs that can live next to each other or above each other or two separate pairs of boars.

Introducing sow pheromones into a bonded boars environment is going to cause havoc, de-sexing or not. Neutering in guinea pigs only removes the ability to make babies; it doesn't change their personality, their social behaviour (which includes normal mating and dominance behaviours), their reaction to pheromones and their ability to crank out surprisingly large amounts of testosterone-laden pee when they get excited in the presence of sow pheromones.

I have got a room full of neutered boars going back a long time that live/have lived with 1-13 sows and anything in between at different times.

More detailed information on what neutering does and does not and in the last chapter my own experiences with having a teenage boar of the same age as yours neutered despite him having got used to living in a room with sow pheromones and therefore having a milder reaction: Neutered / De-sexed Boars And Neutering Operations: Myths, Facts and Post-op Care

Teenage, the rules of boars and sows in the same room (the latter see dos and don'ts chapter): A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

A Closer Look At Pairs (Boars - Sows - Mixed)

I hope that the additional information via the links will help you understand better and to avoid all the pitfalls that await the unwary.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I’m very new to boars and the research from google was like YES DO IT, so that’s why I thought I’d come to my pig friends here.

It looks like if I do end up getting more pigs in the future, females would need to go downstairs in the living room.

How do boars react with another set of board in a different cage but in the same room? Will that also upset the dynamics?

Thank you everyone for your advice! I’m very new to boars and the research from google was like YES DO IT, so that’s why I thought I’d come to my pig friends here.

It looks like if I do end up getting more pigs in the future, females would need to go downstairs in the living room.

How do boars react with another set of board in a different cage but in the same room? Will that also upset the dynamics?

Another set of boars in the same room won’t cause problems.

I have two separate boars pairs living in my shed. I have a 4 and a half year old pair and a 14 week old pair.
They are interested in each other and do rumble along the divider when the little ones are out for exercise time, but it’s not going to cause any problems for each pair.

Hi

No, boars can live next to boars without problems.
You may initially/occasionally see some territorial dominance behaviour through the bars but that goes for any group (even a group of one or two) and is not gender specific.

The big issue is the sow pheromones.
When you start with boars living in a sow pheromone-free environment, then they will react much more strongly to them on exposure (and so will sows coming into contact with boar pheromones, only that in them it won't lead to potential fights or fall-outs because sows are wired to live with other sows in a group). With two boars in a group, it comes down to mating rights.

If you have a boars-only environment, it is best to continue with that (and helping with dealing with the masses of unwanted boars looking for a new a home if you can) or if you want to switch over to a mixed environment, then it is best by splitting your neutered boys and having them live with a sow each and then build up a mixed gender group with one boar once one of them has died. As long as you have two sows who are friends, a 'husboar' (i.e. neutered boar) living with two sows is a very stable trio; the same also works for a full boar living with two well bonded de-sexed/spayed sows. A quartet consisting of 1 husboar and three sows also do well; two sows and two boars generally have a latent instability built in and fail much more often than they succeed.

Boars that have grown up in a room with or that have lived for a goodly while around sow pheromones produce a calming compound and are much less likely to fight and over-react. I have had the odd pair of boars living right next to and above sows/one neutered 'husboar' mixed gender groups without issues although there have been the occasional moments, especially when strong seasons have coincided with teenage hormones in by boar pairs (neutering not withstanding) but these boars have all had the necessary exposure or background before I introduced them, usually because the older boar had difficulty being accepted by any of my sows at the time.

For more neutered boars in the same group of sows, you need LOTS of space and ideally a larger number of piggies. It works for boars living in a larger bachelor boar group or in a larger mixed gender group environment but it doesn't work out in your classic cage environment with only very few piggies because trio and then small group dynamics (about 4-6 piggies) differ majorly from large group/herd dynamics. In a small setting you are basically working against and not with social cavy wiring.

Member experiments and experiences over the years have been overwhelmingly on the negative side for your type of plan.

I hope that this helps you make more sense of the conflicting information that is around?

Back