Adding To The Family

dmarksbury

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So as new owners (it's been a few months now) we made the mistake of only getting a single pig (a female who is about 8-10 months old, not sure exactly). We realize now that this was not good and are looking to add to the family. I have been looking for GP's that need re-homing on CL. I have found someone that has a pair of females that are about 2-3 months old.

Based on my reading here, it looks like this may not be a good idea as the older will likely end up as the outcast, which this is obviously not what we want or intend.

So I am just looking for any final advice or recommendations at this point before we make the final decision not to go this route.

Thanks!

If you can, a good rescue is the way to go. A trio of females can be ok, although you may end up with an outsider. Girls are easier to bond with each other than males, as they are wired to be in a herd of other girls. I've only got males, so I'm not the best to advise on this though. If you click on 'rescue locator' at the top of the page, you can see if there is one near you. A rescue will help you bond your girl with another piggy (either another girl or a neutered male). That way you can be sure they will get on. Oh! Welcome to the forum. You'll get tons of good advice here, and everyone is very friendly.....and we WILL want to see pics of your piggies pleeeeze. :love:
Edit - also, don't be afraid to get an older piggy.

You will be better of getting from a rescue it's just form filling & a home check. So long as you don't live in a shed, or keep elephants in the garden you should pass. (Sorry put it down to the silly season) I'm sober in case anyone wonders.
You can mix any ages of females together, I've never found females a problem.
If you read the instructions in the forums selection, it'll set you right.
If you go to a rescue. 1/you are guaranteed it will be in good health & 2/ you are taking a piggy who has been dumped, or abandoned by a road etc. They need someone to love them.
At the end of the day the choice is yours. Good Luck with you piggie bonding.

So you don't think adding a pair of siblings to a single lady would be a problem? There is a rescue near us and we may very well go there... One other thing I don't want to do is break apart a bond that already exists, so that's why we were thinking of getting the pair and adding them to our single...

Thanks for the info!

So as new owners (it's been a few months now) we made the mistake of only getting a single pig (a female who is about 8-10 months old, not sure exactly). We realize now that this was not good and are looking to add to the family. I have been looking for GP's that need re-homing on CL. I have found someone that has a pair of females that are about 2-3 months old.

Based on my reading here, it looks like this may not be a good idea as the older will likely end up as the outcast, which this is obviously not what we want or intend.

So I am just looking for any final advice or recommendations at this point before we make the final decision not to go this route.

Thanks!

If you can, please contact one of our recommended good standard rescues that offer dating at the rescue. The ones we recommend have all got a full quarantine, pregnancy watch and rehome only healthy, properly sexed and guaranteed not pregnant piggies, so you have any unpleasant or very expensive surprises. Many of these rescues also offer dating at the rescue under expert supervision so you come home with a new companion only if acceptance has happened.
There is no license or control for rescues or breeders, so anybody can call themselves one, hence our lists of places that we have made sure are safe to use. With any other rescues and any free-ads piggies, the risks are all on your side.

You can consider both a neutered boar or another sow of any age - mutual liking and character compatibility are much more important. Two babies may also work but there is always the risk that two of the sows will get on better in the longer term - and it is not necessarily the ones that come as a pair! Please be aware that no self-respecting rescue will be open over the holiday; this in order to prevent spontaneous 'toy pet' adoptions that are usually bound to fail. Many will however take messages and set up appointments for when they reopen in January.
Recommended UK rescues: Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator
Recommended rescues in other countries: Guinea Lynx :: Rescue Organizations
With small sow (with or without a 'husboar') groups is generally safer going from a pair to a quartet unless you have a pair of sows that is great friends already as a boar is a natural outsider.

If you can, please contact one of our recommended good standard rescues that offer dating at the rescue. The ones we recommend have all got a full quarantine, pregnancy watch and rehome only healthy, properly sexed and guaranteed not pregnant piggies, so you have any unpleasant or very expensive surprises. Many of these rescues also offer dating at the rescue under expert supervision so you come home with a new companion only if acceptance has happened.
There is no license or control for rescues or breeders, so anybody can call themselves one, hence our lists of places that we have made sure are safe to use. With any other rescues and any free-ads piggies, the risks are all on your side.

You can consider both a neutered boar or another sow of any age - mutual liking and character compatibility are much more important. Two babies may also work but there is always the risk that two of the sows will get on better in the longer term - and it is not necessarily the ones that come as a pair! Please be aware that no self-respecting rescue will be open over the holiday; this in order to prevent spontaneous 'toy pet' adoptions that are usually bound to fail. Many will however take messages and set up appointments for when they reopen in January.
Recommended UK rescues: Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator
Recommended rescues in other countries: Guinea Lynx :: Rescue Organizations
With small sow (with or without a 'husboar') groups is generally safer going from a pair to a quartet unless you have a pair of sows that is great friends already as a boar is a natural outsider.

Will reach out to our local rescue and see about a date... I live in the US and the rescue near me is on your list.

Thanks!

Will reach out to our local rescue and see about a date... I live in the US and the rescue near me is on your list.

Thanks!

Then you will be in the safest and best hands possible! It is really worth the extra effort for total peace of mind. All the best!

US rescues often have single neutered boars. Cross gender bonds are generally the most stable of them all, so it is worth looking in that direction if the rescue you want to contact has them.

Since we have members from all over the world, we are grateful if you please added your state or your country to your details, so we can always tailor any advice to what is available and relevant where you are straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. This makes it appear with every post you make. Thank you!

Hello and welcome to our friendly, chatty Forum!
Always someone available to try and give you the best of advice no matter the problem! If we are unsure we will point you in t he direction of the one who can!
Always best to go to a good rescue centre to help bond your piggy with a friend.
Good luck!

Back