Adding boar to two sows

Lovepigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I have read the thread and advise on adding a new pig to a pair. I am feeling overwhelmed with advise! I currently have two bonded sows around 18months old. The girls are in an outdoor hutch with attached run. I am hoping to add to the group this summer, after reading I am leaning towards adding a boar. I understand that perhaps a young boar would be best, my question is would this be recommended and what happens when he hits adolescent, are they likely to fight and be upset ? Or should I go for another sow to avoid the testosterone spike fights later in the year?
Like I say feeling overwhelmed and wanting to keep my girls happy

Thank you in advance 😊

It’s fine to add a neutered boar and can work best. Sometimes this works better than adding a sow to an existing sow pair as the boar is not part of the sow hierarchy. Adding a single sow to an established pair can work but it can also be a disaster.

If you get a boar, he will already need to be neutered. Given boars aren’t usually neutered until four months of age at the earliest, then he will already be at least a teenager. Your girls may even choose themselves an older man!

A young boar, just neutered, being around sows for the first time is going to cause quite a stir - it’s natural, he will be very excited, but the girls should put him in his place.
You won’t get testosterone fuelled fights in the same way as if you were dealing with a teenage boar pair, but he will be excited to be around the girls Particularly if he is young and this is his first time with sows. An older gentleman who has already been around sows will be excited but his reaction won’t be quite that of a newly neutered teen boar with his first experience of ladies.

Whatever sex of piggy you choose, the safest way to add a new friend is to take your girls dating at a rescue centre so they can choose their own new companion. This will result in a better bond as they will have chosen the friend. If you just go out and get another piggy then there is always a risk of a failed bonding. And of course, if you went out to buy a young boar, then he wouldn’t be able to be introduced to them until he was old enough to be neutered and then six weeks post neuter safe.

How big is your hutch?
To keep three piggies together, you need a 6ft hutch on a single level. I did see a recent post of yours which said you had a hutch run combo - the 5ft Kendal. If that is still your hutch, then given the enclosed hutch part is only 5ft then it isn’t big enough for three piggies

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Thanks pigs&buns. Reassurance I'm on the right track. I was going to contact some rescues about dating so I get the right companion. I wouldn't introduce before he was post 6 weeks of being neutered, I think that was the correct timing? I definitely do not want pregnancies. I did start off thinking of adding a sow for this reason, however I am hearing the advise that young neutered boar may be best.

The hutch is from home and roast 5 x 3feet and with the run attached. I've obviously read that wrong that 3 would be happy in here. I'll have to re think then? 😔

If you adopt from a rescue, then any boars available for rehoming will already be 6 weeks post neuter. A reputable rescue wouldn’t allow a boar to go if he wasn’t post neuter safe.

The run doesn’t count as living space as they cannot be left with access to it all the time if it is outside. (The run itself is indeed 5x3ft)
Therefore it is only the enclosed upper enclosed hutch part which can count as living space. The enclosed hutch part is 5x2ft so only big enough for two sows.

I did think that about the timings with boars, definitely best to go to a rescue centre and wait for the right boar.
But if my hutch isn't big enough then I won't be doing this anytime soon. I've obviously read it wrong.
I will have a think and see if I can build an extension some how perhaps, thank you for your advise. Definitely do not want them to be in a too small home.

Perhaps, in time, you could get one of the 6ft hutches from Home and Roost to be their living space for winter/during the night. Then, during the summer days, transfer them to the hutch/run combo you already have to be their daytime summer play space as it is fine for three piggies to be in the run.

Back