Adding a third

• Thread starter Thread starter Loopylou
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Loopylou

Just a theoretical question really. Is there any chance of success adding an older, unuetered boar to a bonded female and neutered boar pair (both around age 1)?
I'm thinking it sounds unlikely! ^-^

You'd be better off trying to add a young sow to your pair, although success with that isn't guaranteed either :)

I don't have any particular idea that I want to add a third. Its just that a friend of mine has a single boar and his brother died some time ago and I know that she feels bad about him being on his own but she doesn't want to get any more guinea pigs. I just wondered if the topiuc came up if there was any possibility, but I think no!

Boars who are sexually mature will fight each other for the right of dominant male so he has the right of mating and controlling everyone else. These boar busting fights can result in injury, starvation and as a result death. it would be better adding in a female instead of a male.
i have experienced this already when georgy ended up getting beaten up and left out from the group. now whenever the two males go near each other, one gets a bite, and its normally smidge who last time bit and pulled some hair out of georgy's bum!

bev said:
Not if you don't want the patter of tiny paws ;)

;D Good point! I guess the boar would have to get the chop! Anyway, as I said - not something I was planning on doing. Hopefully the piggie is getting plenty of human attention at least.

The boars would probably fight over the female, and if he is not neutered and she is not spayed there would be females. I would get females if you're going to add a third.

Kimmie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back