Adding a Third

Toffee and Oreo

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I wanted some more opinions on whether or not I should add a third guinea pig to my duo. Bearing in mind, I do not have much experience with Guinea pig bond dynamics this is just purely my own observations. Currently I’ve got a 5 year old female (Toffee) who is definitely the dominant one and a 1 year old neutered male (Oreo) who is submissive to her, but I can tell he does test her sometimes, seeming like he would like to be dominant, just toffee won’t allow it. I was wondering whether I could add a baby female to my duo as I need one that is submissive to not disrupt the herd dynamics at the moment, as toffee will benefit from being boss still as she is getting older. Correct me if I’m wrong but these are the reasons I think adding a baby female would benefit the duo:

- It would allow Oreo to be dominant over a pig, which would make him happier. (I think, tell me if this is not how it works)

- Toffee and Oreo act like a brother and sis duo, they don’t like snuggling together much, but they do appreciate each others company, but I think if I add a baby female Toffee might be more keen to show loving behaviours and be able to relax more, but I know this is not necessary. (This is just kinda a nice thought that I’m thinking, probably unlikely tho)

- As toffee is getting older, sorry this is a bit morbid, but I have to accept that she would most likely pass first and having a third it means that it will help the grieving process for the remaining piggy’s and we won’t have to rush out and find a companion.

- Also I do have an appropriately sized cage for 3 as I have a 280x70 cm cage, so there would be plenty of space.

-I would be looking at getting a rescue piggy as well.

Please let me know your thoughts and any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

There is no harm in attempting to bond in a third piggy but do be aware that it may not change anything. Piggies generally do not snuggle together so you may still not see any kind of interaction in that sense.

The best thing if you do wish to add a third is to approach the rescue centre for dating before committing to a piggy. While adding a youngster can work, it’s not a given that a bonded pair would appreciate a third piggy added.
With that said, having a younger piggy around so your boar isn’t alone with the passing of your older sow is a good idea.

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

Back