Adding A Third?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate0311

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Bought two baby females yesterday, now wishing I had got a third too. Would it be ok for me to add another one today or tomorrow? Would I have to go back and get another from the same herd or as they are so little could I get one from somewhere else? Don't want to stress them unnecessarily

How old are they? (if you don't mind me asking). It should be fine if they are still tiny babies but introduce them on neutral ground to be sure. I should wait for a few more forum opnions too before making your mind up :)

If you are going to add a 3rd you need to consider whether you have a cage big enough. If not as they get bigger and space gets smaller then they can start fighting. I would also be worried that buying from pet shops/breeders that they could have been mis-sexed or possibly left with males longer than they should and may be pregnant x

Hi and welcome!

It is no problem to add a third sow baby, but please consider first whether you have got enough space to accommodate all your guinea pigs when they grow quickly! Shop ideas about appropriate cage size fall consistently short of welfare minimum recommendations. As guinea pigs are ground roamers, they really need any bit of extra space that you can afford.
You may also want to consider that trios often end up with a 2+1 constellation with one sow as a bit of an outsider. if you have access to a good rescue with neutered boars, you might want to see whether introducing a daddy boar may be a better alternative for the long term. Please be aware that adding any new guinea pigs will require a renewed hierarchy sort-out and some dominance behaviour.
Cage Size Guide
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/boars-sows-or-mixed-pairs-babies-or-adults.108944/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/introducing-and-re-introducing-guinea-pigs.38562/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/illustrated-bonding-behaviours-and-dynamics.128361/

You may find our starter kit with information on all aspects of new ownership and guinea pig life useful; it contains links to aspects that I have touched upon above: " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

As we have got members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county, so we can always tailor any advice and recommendations to what is available and possible where you are and help you most efficiently. click on your username on the top bar, then go personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Hi, it's definitely going to be easier to add another piggy whilst they are still adapting. Once they get comfortable with their environment and establish their group hierarchy it can be stressful for them to go through any major changes.
As mentioned above, if you got your heart set on the third piggy consider the space :-)
All the best! X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back