Adding A New Guinea Pig And Bathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joannejuliewow

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi there,

Recently I've been wanting to get another piggy to add to my two girls. I wanted a Peruvian really but you try and find one for sale or adoption that's female or one year old!

So I went to the RSPCA to see if they could help me they had 16! A big rescue. So I applied to have 2 as they come in pairs. Jellybean and Chewit and they refused me because I wasn't experienced enough to have them. Mine have just turned one and they are well looked after! So disheartened I went to all the local pets at homes looking in the adoption centres and there was a 7 month old absynian girl so I snapped her up.

Took her home she settled into a separate cage for a week. Then I put all three into the run in a neutral space and it couldn't of gone better. They were in there most of the day. I cleaned the cage and got rid of all scent. And placed them all in there and they snuggled and got along. 2 weeks later.
Elsa my original Guinea pig is quite bi polar as I like to say sometimes she's the sweetest piggy other times she's constantly doing the dominance growl and stance she's always been like this even when it was just her and Anna. But Anna is such a laid back piggy it never bothered her. But Snow is constantly getting this treatment. There is not biting or anything like that it's literally just following her around the cage growling.

I've tried removing Elsa for a night to see how it went. All she did was wheek to go back in. So she clearly likes them.

I don't know what her problem is haha!

I have also read that bathing them might help to get rid of the scents.

But I have read different things some people say don't bath then often so mine a
Have been getting them every 3 months or so. But then on the vets4pets website it says bath them weekly!

Also if that's the case how do I go about drying snow her hair grows from so many different points I don't wanna make her uncomfortable. Elsa is Himalayan and Anna is a short hair so they are easy enough to dry.

Any advice? Sorry for the long post.

image.webp

what lovely pictures,they look like they are having fun.i only bath mine every 3 months,usually in the warmer months.i let them dry naturally and place a heat pad and put them in a cardboard box with soft hay.then brush there coat again when dry.

Lovely photos.

Usually sows and short haireds don't need much in the way of bathing. It's usually recommended when there has been a big fall out to try to make everyone smell the same.

I think that the introduction of a newcomer to your previously well bonded pair has upset the hierarchy. Sows have to establish who is in charge. While you can separate and reintroduce them it's actually better to let them work it out unless there is increasing aggression and a risk of fighting and injury.
Have you read the threads about sow behaviour and introducing new piggies? Sow Behaviour
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

How big is your cage? Is it big enough for 3 piggies. And do you have at least 3 hideys (one for each) and are they all with 2 exits so that no-one can get trapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back