Added A Baby Girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxDog84

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Today I added a 6-week old baby Abyssinian girl to the house. Seeing as this is my first baby guinea pig, does she need a different diet, or different veggies compared to my two adult boys?

Also, if I had their cages next to each other, would that cause problems between the two boys? I know you can't keep multiple males together in a herd of girls, but didn't know if being next to would present a problem. Right now she's on the other side of the room, but was thinking once I expand the boys in a month or so that I'll put her on top of theirs if that won't cause conflict as well.

Now she needs a name! Isn't she cute?

gpig2.webp gpig1.webp

Ideally, you keep girls apart or out of sight from boys. If they are on top of each other, then it is better to have the sows below the boys so they are less affected by pheromones when sows come into season. Boars that grow up from very small in a household with sows around are less affected than especially teenage boars that are suddenly awoken to female hormones.

Please get your little girl a toddler-safe piggy-sized cuddly toy until you can find her suitable same sex companion or a neutered boar.
Here is a recommended guinea pig rescue in Maine:
dt.gif
Whistle Ridge Guinea Pig Rescue
Auburn, Maine
[email protected]
Michelle Melaragno

I have got a ginger aby myself; her name is Essylt, which is Welsh for Iseult/Isolde and translates as "beautiful". Her previous name was Jessica.

Bonded boys will fight if they smell her scent so if you are going to put their cages on top of one another, its best the girl is on the bottom otherwise her poop or anything else could fall down and it could set the boys up.

I have two bonded boars on a bunkbed type cage with them up top and then my neutered boar and his wife downstairs. The boys at the top have no idea she's even there and there's not been any problems.

She is absolutely adorable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back