Acrobat Chesney!

Ramia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I had the boys out for a cage cleaning. I put Stripe back in the cage first and went back for Chez and he had climbed out of the foot and a half storage container onto a chair! I was able to catch him before he really got loose! Just in time.

People have told me they can't climb. Should I get a taller container or put the lid on?

The boys are popcorning with their clean cage.

A little Houdini! A foot and a half? That's impressive, I have no idea how he could do that. Guinea pigs aren't naturally climbers or jumpers, but there are exceptions. Is there a way for air to get into the container when the lid is on? If not, maybe use a taller container.
Aww it must be their way of telling you that you did a great job cleaning

I cut a hole in the lid. I brought them both to the vet in it. Do you think it would help? It fits on loosely.

They can climb when determined enough, it just doesn’t come naturally to them! (This is why we advise people who keep a newly neutered boar next to their intended sows to ensure the cage is very secure and lidded - boar will climb and escape to get in with girls).

If you are going to remove them from them from the cage for cleaning, then secure the box with a holed lid (puncture small holes all over), use a separate cat carrier or put them in a specific playpen for some out of the cage time.
(To be honest I never remove my piggies from their cages when I clean them)

I only take my boys out when I do a deep clean, about every two weeks as even with a fleece change they can go to the other floor. Except Mischevious Master Boris (of course!) as he (obviously) has to clatter around on the bare correx and check that I'm doing a good enough job, then wee or poo on it. We used to have The Daddy Slave holding both for shared lap time but now they have their floortime pen divided and will go in there.

My Kiki when young used to jump onto our sofa which is about the same height, they can always surprise you!
She’s getting older now but is the most acrobatic out of all my piggies

Back