Absorbent pads under Vetbed

pelicano

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am currently using Vetbed, which has totally resolved Molly's foot problem. But I am really struggling with what to have underneath.

I am currently using washable incontinence pads, which I find need to be changed really frequently. I don't mind that too much, although I'd rather something much thicker, if anyone has any recommendations. I tried bath mats on top of the washable incontinence pads for a while, but that just created a ridiculous amount of washing, with no real gain.

The biggest problem I find is that, despite hotching the incontinence pads right up on the cage edges/corners, pee is getting under them sometimes. One of my pigs loves to wedge herself right in the corner of the cage. Maybe the answer is just as simple as having paper under the pads, but I just took out a pad that was virtually dry on top but sodden underneath and the cage floor wet.

So, if anyone has any ideas, they'd be gratefully received!

I use newspapers and advertising leaflets, living in a city there are a lot of free ones around! I have to change them daily in the main pee spots. Not all leaflets are absorbent but I find enough that are. The Pets at Home magazine torn up is just the right size for hideys! It's also worth asking any friendly neighbours if they have newspapers.

I always use vetbed under a bed area and use a small bobble mat underneath. My Jester is such a swampy- pants that the bobble mat is drenched in the mornings but the vetbed stays dry. The bobble mats I use are about half the size of the normal bobble bath mats so even though one needs changing every day, I'm only doing two pig washes a week so it's not too bad.

Back