Absorbent cage bedding options?

S'mores and Pockets

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for another layer of absorbency for my piggies loft. It's a 2 by 1 C&C space. It gets pretty soiled and damp up there in a few days, and it would be a waste to wash such a small item 2 times every week. I have a GuineaDad liner up there. I was thinking about buying pee-pads but heard they might have harsh chemicals, and they create more plastic waste. I was wondering if I should buy another fleece and put it on top or under the current fleece. Are noodle mats absorbent?

Does anyone have suggestions or experiences like this?

Thank you!

I have a kitten litter tray in my 2x1 loft. This is lined with newspaper and then filled with hay. I change the newspaper each day and throw away any soiled hay.

I've used a sewing machine to make a few 3-layer 'sandwiches' using fleece - then 'zorb' - then fleece. My first go was literally just laying the 3 pieces on top of each other and sewing a rectangle round the edge, then trimming off the rough bits! When the pad gets wet I shake off the hay/poop and peg it on the washing line. This is where the soiled ones accumulate until I have enough to do a wash, so I change the pad every day or two depending on use. I got my fleece and zorb from 'Ab Fab' textiles... it's worth a look.

I tried the pee pads... they do absorb but they are wet to stand on so you might find you need something like fleece or noodle mat on top so piggies stay dry. Mine also tried to chew the pee pads which worried me a bit. They might have just had a chew then left it but I didn't want to come down one morning to a big hole. I suspect if these are ingested it's bad news because of the absorbency. Mine haven't tried to chew the fleece or zorb.

I've used a sewing machine to make a few 3-layer 'sandwiches' using fleece - then 'zorb' - then fleece. My first go was literally just laying the 3 pieces on top of each other and sewing a rectangle round the edge, then trimming off the rough bits! When the pad gets wet I shake off the hay/poop and peg it on the washing line. This is where the soiled ones accumulate until I have enough to do a wash, so I change the pad every day or two depending on use. I got my fleece and zorb from 'Ab Fab' textiles... it's worth a look.

I tried the pee pads... they do absorb but they are wet to stand on so you might find you need something like fleece or noodle mat on top so piggies stay dry. Mine also tried to chew the pee pads which worried me a bit. They might have just had a chew then left it but I didn't want to come down one morning to a big hole. I suspect if these are ingested it's bad news because of the absorbency. Mine haven't tried to chew the fleece or zorb.
Oh! I will look into getting some more fleece, so I can switch it out and wash it when there is enough. Right now I only have two fleece liners for the loft.

I stick with bath mats (supermarkets tend to be the best ones), towels (underneath) and fleece in hides now. I was put off puppy-pads (as I have a couple of nibblers and wouldn't want them to ingest any). I find my boys really clean (they tend to have specific areas that are wetter than others - usually in their fresh new hay piles 🤦‍♀️😂)

Back