Absorbent Bedding!

Cuddles With Cavies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I’m looking to try a new bedding because as much as I love fleece, I’m so sick and tired of having to wash it everyday because even with the use of peepads and thick liners, it’s just soaked through with urine at the end of the day.
The problem is, so far I haven’t tried a natural bedding type that I don’t hate. I’ve done the whole wood shavings under hay. I found it messy, dusty and difficult to spot clean. I’ve tried multiple other types of wood or paper based options including aubiose but found it prickly, dusty and again, messy.
What’s everybody using for their pigs at the moment? I thought maybe some cat litter might be good but then I got worried about them ingesting it :no:

I have 3 pigs in a 2x6 with 2x3 outcrop C&C. I use peepads under the houses that are changed daily and fleece liners that are changed every 3rd day.
36BBD62D-023E-49DF-A4EA-8A0C6BA0AB18.jpegThey do get lots of hay too I just hadn’t put it in yet when this photo was taken.

The only bedding I like is fitch. Dust free, very absorbent, reasonable price, can buy large amounts of it. Soft enough for the piggies, no respiratory issue. And poops just seem to fall through the pieces!
I use fleece as I don't have the space to store fitch, but often use it if going away so whoever is looking after the piggies doesn't have to poop scoop fleece twice a day.

I personally use aubiose or megazorb topped with hay. I use shavings Under hay if I can’t get aubiose or megazorb.
I just pick up the poops that are loose on the top of the hay, shake the hay through. any other poops I couldn’t see fall through to the shavings. I then remove any larger areas of poops and any wet areas of hay and bedding. Full clean once a week

I use old newspapers with wood shavings on top and hay in piles. I’ve never used fleece so can’t compare. The poops fall down through the hay onto the shavings and I poop pick up from there. I can grab handfuls of damp shavings up too.

I used to use kaytee paper bedding but since it was out of stock I recently switched to small pet select recycled paper bedding and its great :) we have fleece areas too but the hayroom gets disposable paper bedding and the small pet select stuff is brilliant. £40 for 56 compressed litres on Amazon which is quite well priced I think its really absorbent and a bit goes a long way!

I use small pet select paper bedding too, never had any issues with it. I buy it in a bedding/hay bundle direct from them which works out great value. I get 178 litres of bedding and 4.5kg of orchard hay for around £43 on subscription, they also do bundles with timothy hay 🙂

I have 3 bath mats in my 7x2 c&c and a large hay tray either end.. this is a plastic tray lined with newspaper and topped with a thick layer of aubiose.. I used to make my own fleece cage liners but it all got too much washing wise..
I have used Bio Catolet stuff in the past and this was good but quite pricey compared to aubiose.

Good luck in finding something that works for you x

Back