Absorbent bedding options

klovesguins

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I'm looking at options for the hay/litter trays. Currently they are lined with newspaper, then woodshavings then hay. However, with my guinea pigs being elderly, and noticing a couple of them getting a little bit red back feet (I know this doesn't belong in this section, however if anyone can recommend cream or something to apply to their feet to prevent this, I would appreciate it!) They tend to lay around more often now.

I was wanting to find something softer and more absorbent than woodshavings. Even better if it's cheap enough put in the whole cage as bedding. Currently they have puppy pads and newspapers as liners as I find these easier to change the wet areas a couple of times a day.

I have tried fleece in the past, I know this is highly recommended but I found it didn't suit myself or my piggies. Just for some context, they are completely cleaned everyday, with additional spot cleans in the morning and night. When I go on holiday early next year, my mum will be looking after them and I would love to simplify things for her, preferably a bedding that once daily or once every other day cleaning is enough.

One more thing, my guinea pigs love to eat everything, one of my biggest concerns is choking hazards or blockages caused by eating bedding.

Vetted (with puppy pads underneath) is recommended for older piggies as it is very soft and absorbent. It is of course a fabric bedding though and I can understand you not wanting to use it. I don’t use fleece as mine live outside however when they come in during summer I use fleece then (only so I don’t have bedding around the house) but I don’t really like it.

Sore red feet are the reason I am recommending vetbed though. It is very good for aiding this issue. When piggies are not moving around as much you need something you can remove and replace a few times a day and a few small squares of vetbed does the job well.
You need to be careful very careful in applying anything yourself. It can risk making the skin soft and causing problems. Instead you need to make sure bedding is always kept dry, and do see a vet if you notice any open wounds occurring as that is bumblefoot which always requires vet care and medication.

This guide may help further

Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

Back to bedding, mine live outside and I use Snowflake Softchip as the absorbent layer and then top with hay in the entire cage. I prefer softchip to shavings as they are heavier chips of wood and it is much easier to remove just wet areas and sweep poops off the surface, therefore leaving most of the bedding in tact until the next full cage clean.
I buy it from a local farm and it is just a fraction of the price from pet shops and online

Small pet select white paper bedding is lovely and even though it goes a long way, it is probably too expensive for the whole cage. Points on the site are generous though so regularly get a decent amount back that way.

I was also going to say vet bed as well :)

Vetted (with puppy pads underneath) is recommended for older piggies as it is very soft and absorbent. It is of course a fabric bedding though and I can understand you not wanting to use it. I don’t use fleece as mine live outside however when they come in during summer I use fleece then (only so I don’t have bedding around the house) but I don’t really like it.

Sore red feet are the reason I am recommending vetbed though. It is very good for aiding this issue. When piggies are not moving around as much you need something you can remove and replace a few times a day and a few small squares of vetbed does the job well.
You need to be careful very careful in applying anything yourself. It can risk making the skin soft and causing problems. Instead you need to make sure bedding is always kept dry, and do see a vet if you notice any open wounds occurring as that is bumblefoot which always requires vet care and medication.

This guide may help further

Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility

Back to bedding, mine live outside and I use Snowflake Softchip as the absorbent layer and then top with hay in the entire cage. I prefer softchip to shavings as they are heavier chips of wood and it is much easier to remove just wet areas and sweep poops off the surface, therefore leaving most of the bedding in tact until the next full cage clean.
I buy it from a local farm and it is just a fraction of the price from pet shops and online
Thank you for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it! I've seen velvet in a local pet shop before so I'll buy a small amount to give a try. I didn't realise snowflake had softchip, I like their woodshavings so will definitely give it a try.

Small pet select white paper bedding is lovely and even though it goes a long way, it is probably too expensive for the whole cage. Points on the site are generous though so regularly get a decent amount back that way.

I was also going to say vet bed as well :)

Paper bedding was what I had in mind so this will be a must try for me, any particular place you recommend buying it from?

I'm using vetbed with my piggie that has bumblefoot on both her back feet.also using a section with softchip,and pile of soft meadow hay.
Good to know you're using it with current bumblefoot, I checked all feet again today and one had red but no signs of bumblefoot so I'll be taking all ideas on board.

Thanks everyone! 😊

I used to use easibed when I couldn't get snowflake soft chip, it's almost identical and a lot cheaper. I still use it in my cat's litter tray.

Thank you for the detailed reply, I really appreciate it! I've seen velvet in a local pet shop before so I'll buy a small amount to give a try. I didn't realise snowflake had softchip, I like their woodshavings so will definitely give it a try.

Paper bedding was what I had in mind so this will be a must try for me, any particular place you recommend buying it from?

Good to know you're using it with current bumblefoot, I checked all feet again today and one had red but no signs of bumblefoot so I'll be taking all ideas on board.

Thanks everyone! 😊
I buy it directly from Small Pet Select. The white is softer than the natural. I get the pack of three on subscription then every other time of buying I’ll have enough points to get £15 off and use that towards a box of 2nd cut timothy hay.

Back