Absorbant fleece layer help

Ninarodders

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm looking at making my own liners and pee pads. I'm going to start with pee pads before I move on to liners but I can't work out what to use as the absorbent layer. All the mattress protectors I've looked at are polyester or polyester microfiber. I thought it needed to be cotton? I can't find any that actually say absorbant, only waterproof. Any help advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

I don't find any problem with using the polyester (50/50 polyester/cotton) as long as it's not the shinny silky one. At the moment I am using a mattress protector from Wilko, double layer in pads and single in main liners. I don't like waterproof liners as I find the urine doesn't soak in once it's a bit wet it will stay wet on top.

Oh right OK, thank you. How does the wee not soak all the way through? I assume you have fleece on both sides then? Trouble is I dont have a lot of "spare" guinea pig money to buy on materials if they are wrong. So id like to try and buy correctly if poss.

I feel the wee dries off better on non waterproof, wicking fleece. Liquid doesn't build up. I have fleece on both sides of my cage liners, and an absorbent core.

Yes, fleece on both sides. I put newspaper or puppy pads underneath in case pee soaks right through but it very rarely does as I use pee pads in the favourite pee spots. I buy fleece on ebay, if you're not too fussy on colours you can often get ends of rolls cheap but it does mean scrolling through the listings.

I’m not a fan of waterproof liners either, they trap all the urine which has nowhere to go so the liner stays constantly damp unless you have a huge area.
Urine needs to sink down into the very bottom layer of fleece using natural gravity and then be soaked away using newspaper, pee pads or some material such as fine cotton towelling

I don't know what that one is like, it's cheaper than the one I have been using so maybe not as good quality/thick? I've not seen that one in the shop. The one I'm using has a pink stripe on the cardboard insert, the kingsize was £9.50. I made the mistake of buying a cheap one in B&M and it went very thin after a couple of washes.

Do you have a fabric store close? I went to JoAnn Fabrics (I am in USA) and the employees cut the fleece to your own specifications. I then use really old towels on the bottom. Unsure if you have a washer/dryer present in your home but I genrally deep clean the cage every 3 days to keep the smell to a minimum. The pigs get two hours or more of floor time while I do this. I then try and spot clean twice a day.

The boys tend to popcorn in the freshly cleaned cage. However, I try and leave all of their toys/hides/tunnels uncleaned to leave their scent in the cage so the dominance is kept to a minimum.

Back