• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abscesses under chin

Heather B

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Morning guys,

First time poster. I’ve had piggies for several years now but have never had to deal with abscesses. It would appear that my poor Poppy has 2 large ones under her chin 🥺 my vet (not exotic) drained it a little a week ago and put her on antibiotics and metacalm. I took her back yesterday and asked her to drain a wider hole which she did and said a lot of pus came out this time. It’s open enough, atm at least, for me to flush it with saline which I started last night and did again this morning. The area is still hard though. Is this normal? Is it possible to treat one abscess at a time? I’m worried sick 😔

This is my special princess.

Attachments

• IMG_6271.webp
    IMG_6271.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 1
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I’ve had a piggy with a tooth root abscess. Pepper had an operation to drain it and had it stitched open. So it could heal from the inside out. I managed to keep it open for 10 days. The best antibiotic for abscesses is Zithromax. My piggy had a six week course of it. A good amount of pain killers is needed too.

It’s great that you are flushing the wound. Do this for as long as you can. I would think it would be best to deal with them both at the same time but obviously I’m not a vet.

Is Poppy eating ok? The Zithromax completely stopped Peppers appetite so I had to syringe feed him for about 8 weeks. He did make a complete recovery. Although at the time I thought he’d never eat for himself again. He lost an incisor due to the infection but managed fine with three.

Good luck I hope Poppy is soon on the mend. Feel free to ask any questions you have. 😃

Here is Peppers thread if you’d like a read. It’s quite long but there’s lots of helpful advice from everyone on here.

Thanks so much for your reply. I’m glad he made a full recovery ❤️ she’s eating and bright in herself. I genuinely don’t think she knows it’s there bless her. I’ve asked the vet about Zithromax as I’ve been researching as you can imagine. She is actually also registered at an exotics vet but I’m scared to go there as I lost a piggie there who didn’t wake up from anaesthetic. It’s also no longer the vet I had built a relationship with. I really don’t know what to do. I’m really scared 😔

It’s great she’s eating and is bright. Weigh her daily to check that she doesn’t start to lose weight.

Back