• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abscess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little M

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think ruby has an abscess :'( its under her chin she is still eating and hasn't lost any weight. Its really hot but doesnt seem to bother her she's booked in at the vets tomorrow 6.20

Good luck! I have had to deal with three of these. They respond well to antibiotics and a good squeeze!

Re: Abscess: Update its burst

Went to feed the piggies this morning Ruby's abscess has burst there was pus down her chest and front leg :'( she seems quite cheery still and is still eating if i was her i'd be crying

DSC01090.jpg

Here is a pic it looks so sore she is such a brave piggy, I bathed it with a saline solution is there anything else i could do? before seeing the vet tonight

Nope, it should be fine! As long as there doesnt seem to be anything you should sqeeze left :) I am sure it will heal fine, doesnt look too bad so try not to worry! O0

That's great that it burst! One of Scarby's did that. You may need the vet to open it up a bit more. Abcesses can have several "chambers" that make them up. You'll probably have to kep squeezing for some days. You also need to be careful - if Ruby lives with another guinea the other guinea may try to lick it better for her - and you don't want that.

Kisses for Ruby xx

poor little baby. she's being so brave. Little sweetie sending her loving hugs and kisses :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Been to vets he had a good look and a squeeze just a little fluid came out no blood or pus he also took a swab to culture as some bacteria are more resilliant (sp?) to antibiotics shes on 0.2ml baytril twice daily for 5 days Do i need to get a probiotic? He suggested separating her and putting the antibiotic in her water and not give her any more till its been drunk but she lives in a herd. I think shes the boss so did't want any fights on reintroducing her. Shes such a brave girl :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Little M said:
Been to vets he had a good look and a squeeze just a little fluid came out no blood or pus he also took a swab to culture as some bacteria are more resilliant (sp?) to antibiotics shes on 0.2ml baytril twice daily for 5 days Do i need to get a probiotic? He suggested separating her and putting the antibiotic in her water and not give her any more till its been drunk but she lives in a herd. I think shes the boss so did't want any fights on reintroducing her. Shes such a brave girl :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

I wouldn't put it in the water - you can't control how much she is getting that way as well as you can with the straight dose in the mouth. Baytril is quite bitter so chances are it would just put her off drinking. It's good that the vet took a culture as this will tell whether or not Baytril is the best antibiotic for her.

I would get a probiotic like Bio-Lapis as Baytril can be quite harsh on their wee tummies.

That's good news. I also think a probiotic would be good. I use Bio Lapis.

get well soon Ruby x

Just a quick update on ruby she finished her course of antibiotics, I couldn't believe how good she was taking her antibiotics all is well at the mo fingers crossed it doesn't re-occur

fingers crossed! glad all is going well! well done you and Ruby! :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back