• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abscess plug has come out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glynis

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
Duke has managed to scratch or knock out his 'plug' sealing the abscess :'( It is absolutely revolting i've phoned the emergency animal welfare and they've told me i can come down at anytime of the day or night if i'm worried. The fact he's on Baytril and the metacam seem to be a plus factor. The only other thing they advised was to get him off his hay and immediately on to towels etc only. I've done this and he freaked for awhile so i zoomed out and bought a whole lot of new veggies for him, he's reasonably happy eating down there at the moment.
If anyone else can advise anything else to help please i'd love to hear it.
I panicked at first but i'm now sort of calm (stomach still in knots and checking him every 15 minutes...) as i know it's better for him. Why does this have to happen to such a little gorgeous boy it's crap :'( :'(

What a worry Glynis! :'( Glad he seems reasonably happy and is eating, How is he now? I have no experience of abscesses so I can't really advise you. I would say as long as he keeps eating that has to be a good sign.

I do hope you feel better soon Duke. We are all thinking of you little man! :-*

he should be fine as long as you keep an eye on him,I'm the same..i wouldnt know about abscesses etc

Thanks Debbie :smitten: and Shaz :smitten:, he's downstairs resting at the moment, but has eaten quite a bit of food, i have alreadyweighed him twice today to make sure he's ok, little man weighed in at 740 grams, most he's been since last year, i'm sure he's been munching on his hay. Now i've had to take the hay out, but will pop in small handfuls so he can keep on eating it but not play in it :(

After Badger had his ops we kept him on towels but I would put a small amount of hay in the corner so he could munch on it. After a while he would manage to spread it all over the cage so I would then change the towels. I don't worry too much as long as they keep eating.

Yep what i've done, thanks for the reassurance, as you know you need that very much when your littlie is sick.

Is Schmichael OK today? He's still missing his little mate isn't he :'( Lots of kisses and a scratch on the head for him :smitten:

Glynis said:
Thanks Debbie :smitten: and Shaz :smitten:, he's downstairs resting at the moment, but has eaten quite a bit of food, i have alreadyweighed him twice today to make sure he's ok, little man weighed in at 740 grams, most he's been since last year, i'm sure he's been munching on his hay. Now i've had to take the hay out, but will pop in small handfuls so he can keep on eating it but not play in it :(
well tell him his fuzzy friends( the pigs not us ;) ) are rooting for him to get well O0

Glynis said:
Is Schmichael OK today? He's still missing his little mate isn't he :'( Lots of kisses and a scratch on the head for him :smitten:

He's fine as long as he's getting lots of attention. He was having a lovely time last night running from me to Ellie to Hannah and to Luke. He even let Ellie give him a cuddle (and he's not the most cuddly boy!) He used to sit with Badger while we were out or overnight and thats when he seems really lonely. He panics the minute he hears you pick keys up or sees you putting shoes on. Its horrible when he comes running towards the door as you are heading out and you have to close door on him! :(

Awww that's lovely, i'm glad you had a nice day and that Schmichael could join in like that :-*
Gee Debbie it must break your heart each time, sorry but i do hope each day it gets a little easier for you both :'( :'( :-* :-*

I just hate having to shut the piggy shed up at night and theyre all looking at you sadly..ive just been in and most of them were asleep,so cute to see ;D ;D

Gee i don't know how you guys do it with so many, i'm forever checking on Duke before i go to bed and i feel guilty leaving him too. One thing as you say it lovely to go and see him/them and see a beautiful little face/s looking at you :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: all worth it eh.

Its great when they look so excited to see you! :) It makes you feel really loved! :smitten: Schmichael has just come bounding up the stairs and is now sat on my feet! :)

Although they worry me to death at times and are probably responsible for grey hairs appearing every day, my life would be empty without them!

furryfriends said:
Its great when they look so excited to see you! :) It makes you feel really loved! :smitten: Schmichael has just come bounding up the stairs and is now sat on my feet! :)

Although they worry me to death at times and are probably responsible for grey hairs appearing every day, my life would be empty without them!

Yes you've hit the nail on the head, feel exactly the same way. Aww Schmichael :smitten: :smitten:
I've just been down again (good exercise 17 stairs each way each time) and changed the towels under him cause he'd weed, so am taking that as a good sign oh and of course the poops as well ;)

Well i thought i had and then this early this afternoon he was playing on the ground after his CC feed that's when i heard him squeek and when i looked i say this plug thing with hair and puss on it, when i lifted him up to look i saw a hole :o :o :'(
He still seems happy, he must be so sick of me i go down all the time and forever touching him and making sure he's ok, i'm sure he's thinking 'why are you down here so often'
No way am i going to do any cleaning of the area now, will wait till the morning when i go to the vets at 8.30am.

I would think it was good news the plug came out and now its open the pus can be syringed cleaned out and cleared up my pigs abcesses are always left open for me to syringe the pus out thats how they heal up, and mine are always kept on towels with hay in the corner for munching on to save any hay getting into the hole fingers crossed it will now dry up and heal up for poor duke try not to worry too much ( easier said then done I know) any abcesses mine have had have always healed up (except Artie but i think that was more to do with the gland being swollen that he died) I've never lost a pig through an abcess alone all healed wonderfully, and one of them cadbury had a wound stretch right across his back from shoulder to shoulder :o but he too was fine, let us know how things go and of course kisses to our brave man :-*

agree with Michelle :) When Icey'sall came out, we were told it was a good thing - yucky, but good :)

Thinking of you both :smitten: :smitten:

THanks to you all :smitten:
He had a good night, i had a lousy one getting up and making sure he was ok, little monkey was awake and demanding food each time O0 :-*
He's at the vets now, i cried and he just looked at me with those eye, 'don't leave me' :'( :'( :'( :'( i've cut up all his fav veggies and fruits for him as a snack pack and i've also sent along his CC made up how he likes it and i've sent his stuffed toy and his own blankies to be with him.
I don't expect to hear till my time at least 3pm so i'll just have to post, too early morning to start texting people :o
Keep your paws crossed thanks :)

wonderful news he came through it with no anesthetic what a brave little man he is, love and hugs to you both :-* :-* :-*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back