• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abscess help/How long till they open up?

• Thread starter Thread starter JoanneG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JoanneG

Hi - I'm new to this forum. I live in Canada and have 2 female guinea pigs, approximately 7 years old, called Queensie (aka Speensie, Speenser) and Tootsie (aka Footsie - she's a fast one!) Someone abandoned them at the door of our pet supply place when they were about 1 year old. One of them, Speensie, has developed what I believe is an abscess under her chin. From what I've read here about abscesses, many had not noticed until it was quite large, which is what happened to me. I just noticed it last night and started checking all around the internet until the wee hours.

She is not having any problems eating or drinking, and seems her normal happy self. I have been cleaning the area 3x a day with warm salt water, and then just started putting on an antiseptic ointment (Betadine - it's supposed to be okay for piggies) after I clean it.
? Approximately how long might it take for this thing to pop or open up?
? Is there anything else I can be doing to hasten the thing along, or anything I can be doing to make sure it doesn't get worse?

I have scheduled an appt. with the vet for Tuesday (he knows guinea pigs). I'm hoping he will just lance it (if it hasn't opened by then) and give me some antibiotics and perhaps something to flush it with. I'm really hoping it is not something that will require surgery, because I don't want her to have an anasthetic at her age.

Thanks for your help!
JoanneG

I've only had 1 piggy with an abscess, not knowing what it was at first i squeezed it (rightly or wrongly) & it burst. I bathed him with warm salt water & flushed it with salt water twice daily until i got to the vets who prescribed antibiotics :)

Aw it will probably pop itself, they are usually pretty big when they pop, my older boar has had 3. If it opens before her appointment flush it with a syringe with water twice a day if you can until the vets, she will probably need antibiotics, dont let it close until your vet has seen it. I think with some medicine and cream and with flushing it should be fine :) Ralfies have all healed ok. Good luck with her hope she's ok, well done to you too, 7 is a great age for a piggy :) xxxxx

Thanks so much, all. I'm just hoping it will either pop or be 'ripe' enough for him to lance by Tuesday.
If it does burst on it's own, will antibiotics be needed do you think? I think it's probably the safe thing to do, except Peter Gurney had said on his web pages that he didn't think antibiotics were helpful in this case, and I also wonder how hard the antibiotic is on their gut flora and the rest of their systems?
Joanne

With all those toxins around I like mine to have antibiotics, heaven forbid should any get into the bloodstream :) Give probiotics and they'll be fine :)

Is an abscess usually rock hard until it bursts? Can anyone tell me approximately how long it was from the time you first noticed it until it burst?
I hope she's okay until Tuesday. She's still eating, and there's still a small amount coming out at one end of it that we clean off 3x a day.
Thank you!

Rock hard I would say no, they vary as to when they burst and I would have it lanced rather than leave it. You could be left with a great big crater :) It could also be a sebaceous cyst, I like to have these lanced and cleaned too as they can get bigger and burst leaving them open to more infection. In my opinion its best to deal weith them when you notice them :)

I have only ever had 1 pig wth an abscess. It took 2 lances and 3 anti inflamitory/anti biotic injections and it'd gone

If you're worried about the toll to the flaura in the gut when on antibiotics.
Do what I do.
Yakult by 1ml (x 5 or so) syringe.
Mine love it.
They can't get enough of it!
You have to tug the syringe from their mouth!
Vedra at CCT said it's fine to give.
PatX

Hmm....Yakult. This is the first I ever heard of it. I checked it out on the internet and it sounds great, but alas, it does not appear that it's in Canada. I will check with my healthfood store, though. Do you give it during the course of antibiotics, or after it's all over?

I would give probiotics that are meant for animals. Does Yakult contain sugar or Lactose? If so it is not, in my opinion, suitable for guineas. There is no need to use human products when there are satisfactory animal ones.

Avipro by Vetark
Bio Lapis
and there are others, put animal probiotic into search and see what you can find or go back to your vet- they will have some.

Hello and welcome to the forum :) we're in Australia :)
What part of Canada? my girlfriend lives in the Toronto area :smitten:
I've dealt with most abscesses with our piggie Duke, he's had the lot >:(
I'd get the vet to look at it love as they can judge best which type it is and if it needs lancing or not :) I'm sure when you go on tuesday they'll make the decision then O0
What a lovely person you are to keep the abandoned piggies :smitten: they sound just gorgeous :smitten: :smitten:
Good luck and let us know how you go on tuesday O0 we'll have our paws crossed for you and the little Queensie :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Glynis
I live just north of Toronto.
I've read a little bit about Duke. Pray he's all right.
I will post this afternoon after I get back from the vet.
Thanks everyone"!
Joanne

Update - Abscess help - not good news

Hi everyone
I just got back from the vet. The news is not good :'(
He says the thing is not an abscess, but it is probably either bone growth from tooth root problems, or possibly a tumor.
He wouldn't know for sure about the latter two unless he did x-rays, which would need to be done under anasthesia, and then the 'so what next' of that would be extensive surgery. And because she is 7, we are choosing not to go that route. He did give me a good antibiotic, but he says if it's in the bone, it's hard to get at.
We are heartbroken, but we will keep an eye on her closely. For now, she is eating and it is all good. At least we can prepare ourselves a little bit. It's hard to say how much time she has.
Thanks for all your help and understanding and caring.
Joanne

Hiya, thanks for getting back to us, Calista had some bone growth after her tooth root abscess and is fine. Personally I wouldn't even bother with an x-ray if you're not having an op done (and I think you've made the right choice), but maybe you would like to know what is?

Just enjoy her as I'm sure you are :)

Thanks, Karen. Yeah, we are just enjoying her and her sister (same age). Keeping a close watch on all accounts. Taking pigtures, and all that!
Joanne

I've posted on your other thread love, but want you to know we're thinking of you all :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
I know how you feel, it's hard seeing a piggie not well and feeling helpless :-\
But i'm sure she knows just how much you love her :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back