abnoba.....and any other indoor cage owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL for a moment I was thinking my eyes had gone funny when I read my name on a thread title ^_^;

Um, I am not using my normal setup atm, the four level high monstrum cage, its being "refurbished" so to say.
Using a 5x2 Gridcage made from Argos Grids and a plastic tablecloth at the moment.

Piccies:

5by2.jpg

overview.jpg

thats more or less what it looks like, I change minor things every time I clean them out, like moving some houses and drainpipe bits around etc.

and it was incredibly cheap! the grids for something like 10 pound, 2m tablecloth for 7 pound...

and the houses and things like that I had already, collected over the years. So I am quite happy with it :-) Takes up alot of space tough.

Come on, other indoor-piggy-keepers, where are your setups? :)

What are the best options for using as a base for C&C cages?

I have seen one with an mdf base. I was thinking of doing the same, with a nice big side (prob half the squarehigh) and then covering it in one of those plastic table covers you do....or even lino.

Are there any other cheap, but effective ways?

someone on here said that mdf is really really bad stuff to use.. but I suppose if it is covered with tablecloth or lino, does it matter?
as long as the piggies dont get to it, and cant nibble on it?

If I had the money, I would go for lino / vinyl flooring. Its just that some of the rolls at B&Q were like 30 pound the square meter - which I cant afford. But its really great, nice and thick, so it cant get holes as easy as the tablecloth.

how expensive is coroplast / correx anyway?

Yeah I read that post about mdf. It can be dangerous if ingested, but I would make sure they couldn't get to it.

I would suggest going to your local carpet shop and asking for off cuts. Thease should be really cheap....although might not look great, but if it's going to be covered with bedding....who cares...the piggies cetainly won't!

Is that correx stuff plastic?

I've used lino from B&Q - it was a small off cut so I asked and got it for £10. Sometimes if you ask in carpet shops you might be able to pick some up. It's worked fine too.

My set up isn't ideal at the moment but I have mine in an indoor cage at night and use a foldable outdoor run inside & set it up like Abnobas. Then my 2 sets of piggies take it in turns to have a go. I either let them have a whole day per group or half a day each.

Because I don't have a big house this actually works quite well because when I need room I can put them in their bedrooms & fold up the run. If my daughter isn't around they get the whole living room! daughter is 4 & she wouldn't deliberately hurt the piggies but she does have a tendancy to climb on the sofa & fall off, one day I'm worried she'll land on a piggie.

I usually do a layer of newspaper then put some old towels down on top. Then I put pipes & houses down.

My pigs were in the shed in a big c&c set up with heaters etc but I missed them so brought them in!

Abnoba said:
someone on here said that mdf is really really bad stuff to use.. but I suppose if it is covered with tablecloth or lino, does it matter?
as long as the piggies dont get to it, and cant nibble on it?

If I had the money, I would go for lino / vinyl flooring. Its just that some of the rolls at B&Q were like 30 pound the square meter - which I cant afford. But its really great, nice and thick, so it cant get holes as easy as the tablecloth.

We bought lino today, it's 1.2m x 2m I think.. not sure, but it was only £6.99.. They also had off cuts that were £9.99 for 4m x 1m I think. If you get off cuts it's a lot cheaper. Also, try carpet shops. We walked in and the first we saw was £14.49 per sq. meter, we carried on walking down and it slowly got down to £3.99 per sq. m.. okay, so the one we bought looks pretty ugly - but do I care? :D

I made this for the lads a few months back and they love it. It's 5ft x 2.5ft made from MDF and panels from Screwfix direct. The bottom the cage is lined with floor tiles to make it pee proof, then newspaper and loads of hay.
215797908_5ebfc7c284.jpg

Here are some of mine

2 big 6ft x 2ft hutches with a 6ft x 2ft C&C on top, each housing groups of 3 boars
DSCN3644.jpg

DSCN3647.jpg

The C&C cage in my bedroom
cage2.jpg

and the more recently added layer on top of it
DSCN3732.jpg

can you still buy the grids from Argos,bought some early this year to make run,but cannot find them in Argos anymore?Also can you use the "grid cages" outside say in a shed! that would be great because it could 'fold away' when not being used in the summer!

Gaile said:
can you still buy the grids from Argos,bought some early this year to make run,but cannot find them in Argos anymore?Also can you use the "grid cages" outside say in a shed! that would be great because it could 'fold away' when not being used in the summer!

I was wondering that too,Ive looked for them and cant find them :(

Cant get any in Ireland either would love a couple more packs :'( they are just so handy
I know they were discontinuing them

My Persian kittens are in a huge grid cage at the moment so that the puppy can't get them

Karen

Argos aren't selling them at the moment, they havn't been for the last couple of months as far as I know, that's why I ended up getting mine from Screwfix Direct.. I think someone mentioned they are a 'Seasonal item'.. so maybe they'll be back in the Spring/Summer 2007 catologue?

Jane said:
Argos aren't selling them at the moment, they havn't been for the last couple of months as far as I know, that's why I ended up getting mine from Screwfix Direct.. I think someone mentioned they are a 'Seasonal item'.. so maybe they'll be back in the Spring/Summer 2007 catologue?

I managed to get mine off ebay - were fairly cheap as well!

mine was £20 a sheet and they are big sheets had to ge them delivered I've had mine for about 18 months now and they are still in good condition despite poo and trigene being sprayed on them all the time, its basically plastic covered cardboard, not sure I would use MDF as it might soak up water if the plastic liner split,

Fantastic cages,wish i had the floor space! Can these cages to used outside in a shed!Could use ply sheets to cover the sides,on the outside,so that it keeps the Guinea pigs out of draughts!I made my guinea pig hutch,it's a double decker,the ramp is set 1" off the floor so you can clean the hutch out easier and news paper fit under without tearing it!The top deck is enclosed with doors,but put a perspex window in so they can see "who's" coming into the shed! It's about 3ft long, 24" wide and 2 1/2 ft high,going to try and extent it at the weekend or make a new one!It was great size when i had 2 piglies but then Boris arrived!

robert may.co.uk do the grids

I wouldn't use them outside in winter unless the sheds got some sort of heating, however you could use them as a run in a shed alongside a hutch. If you boarded them with wood to keep out draughts, don't see why that wouldn't work.

Here's mine

CAWLS9GB.jpg

CACPIBKP.jpg

thats where i got my grids from they are very good and so easily adapted, mine are in heated sheds, but Harvey (Houdini) has learnt to climb them, hes now in a run with a roof of grids lol

michellemuffin said:
thats where i got my grids from they are very good and so easily adapted, mine are in heated sheds, but Harvey (Houdini) has learnt to climb them, hes now in a run with a roof of grids lol

Fudge tried to climb out of his, and if you look at the cage he has the top storey :o So I had to do emergency work late one night raising the height, he was trying to get to the girls below. He's calmed down now and seems less bothered by them being there.

Thanks Kayjay,i made the new hutch over the weekend,it's 3ft long,16"wide and 42" high made of 1/4" ply easy to clean.The top section is 12" high so much better for circulation and more room for the three pigles.Needed more grids for garden really to put them on the garden to keep cats off(stop them pooing in garden)just for the winter,wash and re-use for Guinea pig run.The hutch is on a table so out of the draughts,but do put the piglies outside in my daughters play house(shut the door so to keep out the cold!) just for an hour,grass is dry and only on nice warm days.

i got correx for £10 from ikea, it comes as a backing on some shelves, it is really big

kayjay said:
michellemuffin said:

Fudge tried to climb out of his, and if you look at the cage he has the top storey :o So I had to do emergency work late one night raising the height, he was trying to get to the girls below. He's calmed down now and seems less bothered by them being there.

so glad harveys not the only one but theres only boys in his shed he just seems to be adventerous, he now has a roof of grids to his run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back