A Worrying Dilemma

munchmonster

Forum Donator 2024/25
Reaction score
I have 2 rescue sows, the most recent of the 2 came to live with my bereaved sow in January. Its never been complete harmony between the two of them as Annie is quite the dominant piggie.
Last week Annie had very runny diarrhoea and I had to get a relative to get me to the nearest vet. She was given meds and I was told to keep Annie on her own for 48 hours in case it was contageous.
I tried to re-introduce the pair of them on neutral ground but it didn't go too well and since then they are not getting on. There was initial teeth chattering and a small fight but things did calm down a little and they both went back to their cage, but now they constantly 'face-off', make loud wheeks at each other and Whisper is constantly spraying both Annie and everything else around her. I worry that they may start to fight when I am not in the room.
My dilemma is, do I try to bond Whisper with my other bonded pair who have been together for 5 years or keep things as they are and hope for the best. I haven't seen this behaviour with any of the piggies I have had before.
Any advice would be welcome

When you say fight, what exactly were they doing? How are they now behaving towards each other? If you were to scale them (based on the guide below), where would you put them?

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

The problem with medical separation is that it can sometimes lead to a broken bond, even for piggies that get on. If it had been contagious, Whisper was already exposed so separating would have done nothing. Sorry you were advised otherwise.

Have a read of the guides below on sows. They’re usually not into ‘fighting’ but they can display signs of a dysfunctional bond.

I don’t know whether bonding Whisper with your pair would work. I would be tempted not to rock the boat. Is there enough space for them to live as neighbours, if they don’t get in?

Hopefully Annie is just re-asserting her dominance and it’ll soon calm down.

Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.nuk/threads/bonds-in-trouble.152930/

And a guide about adding more piggies.
Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?

I've read the dominance behaviours you suggested and they are between normal dominance section and the warnings currently. I have been trying to video them but as soon as my phone is set up they stop. Maybe thats what I need to do when the quarrelling starts lol.
I will monitor Annie for sow health problems too.
Thanks for the advice!

Back