A Way To Buy Fitch Bedding A Bit More Cheaply

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggySmitten

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wanted to try Fitch so I just bought one bale and I would buy again at that price but if you can store more, it can be bought even more cheaply - around £12 inc delivery per bale I think.

I've seen forum members pair up (or offer to do so) to purchase it in bulk but then share so you get the benefit of the cheaper price but don't have to store as much.

I'm happy to act as matchmaker to introduce people who post on this thread to others who post on this thread who live in the same town or county or feel free to contact someone who has posted on this thread directly if you wish by PM.

You will need to make your own agreement between your pair or group about who orders, how much you order, how you pay each other and how you get the Fitch to each other etc. please.

Let's get some buying groups going!

Please add a post to this thread if you are interested in buying Fitch with someone else.

Please post your county and/or town location so I can try and match people up.

I am based on the border of West Yorkshire and South Yorkshire. Near Pontefract.

In case it isn't already obvious, I'd like to share a bulk order with one or more people!

I'm sorry. But what is Fitch bedding?
Hi @Lecie89 It's a soft shredded paper pulp bedding. It's better for piggies than wood shavings as it doesn't have the dust which can upset their respiratory tract and it doesn't suck the natural oils out of their feet.
Like wood shavings, it lasts about a week between changes and it's disposable. You could, if you wanted, compost it after use.
It's very absorbent and great at not smelling (if that makes sense!).
Here's their website http://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/animal-bedding/fitch-pet-bedding.html
I'll add a picture of it in use in a few minutes.

I woupd be interested. We charged £7.50 delivery this far north so it would be good to be able to split it with someone. Carefresh is expensive at P@H and thats what I have my Hammys on.

I've just switched to Fitch and am in sunny South Wales - if anyone in the Swansea/ Bridgend/ Neath Port Talbot area is interested! It seems great so far (2 days in ;))!

You could maybe do it via your local rescue group. I'm a member of the NEGPR (North East Guinea Pig Rescue facebook group. Recently we got 18 bales of Fitch which worked out at less than £10 a bale. All you need is one of you who has a garage to store it in for a couple of days until you can all collect it.

You could maybe do it via your local rescue group. I'm a member of the NEGPR (North East Guinea Pig Rescue facebook group. Recently we got 18 bales of Fitch which worked out at less than £10 a bale. All you need is one of you who has a garage to store it in for a couple of days until you can all collect it.
That's interesting thanks. How do I find a local rescue group?
I did briefly wonder whether drivers on piggy trains would be willing to also transport bales between those sharing an order but living farther apart in return for a petrol contribution (which would be set so it was still a cost saving in buying Fitch) but I thought it would be too difficult to organise with advance planning needed for buying Fitch but piggy trains of necessity being short notice often.

In Yorkshire the main rescues are Cavy Corner, Doncaster, BARC, Barnsley & Millhaven, Keighley.

That's a good idea with the Fitch - wouldn't work for me as I don't drive so I'd not be able to collect from anyone else.
I buy one bag at a time from amazon - it lasts me a while as I use it just for the 2 hamster cages. I've not found a stockist nearby to me - there's a farm shop 4 miles away but I can't get there they have aubiouse but not Fitch.

That's a good idea with the Fitch - wouldn't work for me as I don't drive so I'd not be able to collect from anyone else.
I buy one bag at a time from amazon - it lasts me a while as I use it just for the 2 hamster cages. I've not found a stockist nearby to me - there's a farm shop 4 miles away but I can't get there they have aubiouse but not Fitch.
Feel free to still add your basic details to this thread though if you'd be interested - someone may be willing to drive it to you.

id be willing to give this ago Hertfordshire
Thanks. It's a slow burner this one and those who have posted so far are, Sod's law, not really close enough to each other (although @PiggieOwner and I are managing to share an order as my family often travels her way at weekends to watch football).

Keep spreading the news and hopefully we will start to be able to pair people up. The savings really are worth it.

If you want to Fitch order online, it's slightly cheaper to order direct from the website than from Amazon.

http://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/animal-bedding/fitch-pet-bedding.html

It's gone up a bit since September! I bought a 20kg bag for £17.49 in September, now it's £17.99.

Happy to team up with someone in the north Bristol/Gloucestershire area :-)

I too am in North Bristol. I haven't got my guinea pigs yet, but I am considering using Fitch Bedding. I do like the look of fleece, but I do appreciate its very high maintenance! I would consider sharing a bulk purchase. X

I too am in North Bristol. I haven't got my guinea pigs yet, but I am considering using Fitch Bedding. I do like the look of fleece, but I do appreciate its very high maintenance! I would consider sharing a bulk purchase. X
That's great. I use fleece in one cage and Fitch in two others and a hutch. I have tried having fleece in two cages but I just found that too much. One cage worth of towels and fleece is a full load in a washing machine and requires doing two or better three times a week. I found the 4 washes a week just too much to fit in even though I like fleece. And I speak as someone who has had 3 children through washable nappies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back