• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

A trip to the vets for Nettles runny nose 🤞

ChloeP

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I've just got back from seeing the vet because one of my boys (only 10 weeks) developed a runny nose (clear liquid) over the last week and the occasional sneeze. He's not had any problems with his eating, pooping, peeing, rasping breathing or mood but I wanted to be safe and rule out anything bad and get to the root of this!

The vet gave him a check over and says there are no signs of a URI and has advised me to change all the bedding and hay in case it was simply the hay being dusty. She's also given me a small dose of Metacam to give him once a day for a week and I'm going back after that for a check-up. If he hasn't improved he may need his nose checking under some sedation🙁. So fingers crossed the runny nose will stop soon! We adopted him 5 weeks ago so the new environment may be a factor...

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? What was the cause of it in the end?
20201127_161306.webp

Okay so I did experience a runny nose (tho very slight) and sneezing. It turns out it was the hay in this case and after switching the problem did stop.

my vet did the same and prescribed baytril (an antibiotic...not to sure why she’d give metacam as it’s an antiinflammatory/pain relief) as a precaution more than anything as she said it could be an early onset of a URI.

i would hold out on unnecessary sedation with piggies, it’s something that should only really be done if absolutely needed. I would possibly ask for an X-Ray if the sneezing persists. This is something that they should be able to carry out while your little piggy is conscious (both my boys have had them done recently in quite daunting positions and didn’t need sedating.).

Thank you 😊 I spoke to the rescue he is from and was told that they've been finding themselves recently that the nuggets themselves can be dusty and I was nearing the bottom of a very large bag - I ran it through a sieve and was astonished how much dust came off it so I wouldn't be surprised if that was contributing!

I think the idea behind the Metacam is perhaps intended the same way humans would take NSAIDS like ibuprofen to relieve that discomfort of congestion but now I think about it I'm not certain it will change much. We were cautious about antibiotics because there are no other signs of infection and I know they can interfere with their digestion etc. I assume they will be the next step. Yeah sedation sounded very extreme I'm not too keen on that 😕 It's usually on and off runny, it was a bit runny yesterday but not yet this morning so if I'm being very optimistic perhaps the hay change etc has helped already?

Do you have any hay recommendations? I've been eyeing up hay box but concerned about storing the massive boxes it comes in

Thank you :) There's been no change for better or worse, Nettle still has a clear runny nose with some sneezing (maybe one an hour?) We went back to the vet today and as expected were given some antibiotics. We have Baytril 0.1ml of 2.5% daily (although I plan to split the dose to 0.05ml every 12 hours) and some more Metacam. A pretty low dose, but Nettle is only 12 weeks and about 570g.

I'd heard that Baytril wasn't as good for "younger" guinea pigs but after some research, it seems this is meaning younger as in still nursing? Please correct me if not!

I'm hoping this will help and not have too many side effects, the benefits of being around Christmas is I will be around pretty much around the clock to see how he is eating etc. I have pro C probiotics to given with his food daily. Please let me know if all this sounds right to you! I have done a good amount of research I think but I've only had my piggies for about 6 weeks so it's all very new and I feel like I need reassurance! 💕

I managed to snap a picture when his nose was runny but there's not much to look at:
20201216_105809.webp

Back