A Question About Grass Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorothy&Coco

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Our two girls are just over 4 months old now. They live indoors and have been going out in the garden in a run for about 60-90 minutes when the weather has been good. We built that up gradually as advised and all's been well, and they love it.

We are off on holiday soon and they are going to piggy boarding. Eek!
They will be in a hutch and then go in a run on the grass. The lady said it is normally for about half a day. Do you think they will be ok going out on the grass for that long? I am worried about their tummies and bloat. I don't know if I am worrying unnecessarily or whether I should ask her to limit their grass time? Any advice would be welcome!

I haven't commented before now because I don't consider myself experienced enough to give a definitive answer, but based on what I've read I think as long as they're used to eating grass, and being out on grass, they should be fine. It's unlikely they will eat the grass for 6 hours straight, they will eat it when/if they want. With mine I've started just putting the whole tray of wheat grass in their cage for their nightly snack (I used to cut off a handful), and they eat at it for a few minutes (they LOVE the stuff), and then wonder off and munch on some hay, then go back for a few more nibbles, then go to sleep in their house. So even though they love it and are crazy about it they don't gorge on it when there's an unlimited amount in there (i do remove it after about half an hour but they're already sleeping by then and ignoring it anyway).

As long as they put hay out for the piggies to access as well when they're out for their half day of lawn time they should be fine.
Although I have wondered if fresh grass can replace hay to a certain extent (not completely but like part of it, since hay is just dried grass anyway). I'm not sure of the answer to this though.

I haven't commented before now because I don't consider myself experienced enough to give a definitive answer, but based on what I've read I think as long as they're used to eating grass, and being out on grass, they should be fine. It's unlikely they will eat the grass for 6 hours straight, they will eat it when/if they want. With mine I've started just putting the whole tray of wheat grass in their cage for their nightly snack (I used to cut off a handful), and they eat at it for a few minutes (they LOVE the stuff), and then wonder off and munch on some hay, then go back for a few more nibbles, then go to sleep in their house. So even though they love it and are crazy about it they don't gorge on it when there's an unlimited amount in there (i do remove it after about half an hour but they're already sleeping by then and ignoring it anyway).

As long as they put hay out for the piggies to access as well when they're out for their half day of lawn time they should be fine.
Although I have wondered if fresh grass can replace hay to a certain extent (not completely but like part of it, since hay is just dried grass anyway). I'm not sure of the answer to this though.
Thank you, I really appreciate your reply and another perspective. I am a little nervous about them boarding, although the place we have chosen is great and the lady is lovely and very knowledgeable. They will get unlimited access to hay and you are right I guess they won't eat grass non stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back