• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

A poorly little girl :(

• Thread starter Thread starter John Locke
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Locke

One of Kaylee's babies (Zhora,the biggest of the two girls) is very quiet and not moving around her cage much. I took her to the vets this afternoon who gave her a good look over, and said looked healthy, he couldnt feel any swelling of her organs, and that she seemed to be pooing properly. He said,sadly,she might have a weak heart and that playing with her brothers and sister might have mde her ill. I am so sad, she is a beautiful girl and I'd hate to lose her. I'm hoping she is a fighter. I have her on my knee right now and she is just lying here. The vet ruled out mited but took a sample of her blood to see if he can find anything that could cause her to be this way. She isn't eating if I leave her in the cage with her siblings and mum, so I occaisionaly spoonfeed her water and some mushed up carrots.

? If she has a weak heart shouldn't your vet of heard it. How good is your vet?

He is usually very good, he did a very good job neutering Bowie and looking over Padme when she was pregnant. I've been wondering the same thing as you myself though. She is still so weak, has barely moved all afternoon. Even whe her brother Gene pulled at her fur ::)

I'm seriously thinking of giving my Guineas up for adoption, it's too hard when they go like this and there's nothing I can do for them :(

:o No way have you got a guinea named Bowie, oh my god this is the name of one of my boars. I picked it because I thought no one else would, oh my god I can't believe it. :o Anyway I think all you can do is carrying on making sure she has fluids and something to eat and let her rest. The thing I had a problem with is if she has a heart condition he should have been able to hear it, did he listen to her heart and tell you she has or that there is the strongest possibility she has a heart condition? If not I would get a second opinion. Someone else with a guinea called Bowie. :o

Oh dear poor little Zhora, we'll keep our paws crossed for her and you :smitten:
Don't get down on yourself, you're doing your best, perhaps ask for a second opinion from another gp savvy vet :)
Let us know how things go :smitten:

I agree that if the vet thought this, then surely he wouuld've been able to tell for sure? ?

Anyway, I would keep her separated from the rest, keeping her warm and always hydrated and fed :)

I took her back this morning, she still barely moves and is now refusing food. I saw a lady vet I've not seen there before, and I asked her specifically to listen to her heart. She said she did sound a bit weak, but that may be because of the state she's in now rather than being the cause. Anyway, after a lot of nagging by moi :p she did another thorough check of her, and found a small cut in her mouth as if she had bit her lip. I hadn't seen any blood anywhere so I don't know when this happened, and I only cleaned out the cage yesterday. So the vet suggested she was being put off food by the pain of her lip, and gave her some antibiotics to make sure it wouldn't get infected. I asked if there was anything she could do for any pain Zhora was in but she said it is difficult to medicate such a small creature, and that I was doing the right thing spoon feeding her. I have her in a separate little area of her own now with a nice fluffy bed and a bowl of water, as well as some cucumber and cauliflower leaves, but she's just not moving :(

Guineas can surprise, just carry on with what you are doing and if the worst comes to the worst you know you did your best. Her not moving might be a good or a bad sign, let her rest. Fingers crossed. :)

Aww the poor love. That could certainly put her off her food.

Have you got some CC if she's not eating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back