• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

A Guinea Pig with suspected gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi

Does anyone know what to do with a guinea pig that has probably got gas in her stomach.

Shall take her to see a vet, but does anyone have any ideas which foods cause the gas, and what have they done for them.

Jaye

Hi Jaye,

I recently had pig which I thought had this problem too.
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=15821.15

What does her stomach feel like?
I got this off Peter Gurneys website :) :
''Unfortunately the first symptom you get is of a guinea pig who look uncomfortable and off it's food. Palpate the stomach and if there is the slightest kind of tightness flick the index finger against the side. If there is a hollow resonance then it is indicative that the problem is air and not fluid.''

Hi

Will try this and let you know.

We had a few with this problem over the last few years or so.

Many Thanks.

Jaye

Is the piggy eating and pooping? Cruciferous veg (like cabbage, kale, broccoli and sprouts) can cause very nasty gas and this can lead to bloat.

Give her approx.1 ml of Infacol or similar.Massage along her sides after you have given it.This will help shift any wind.Get her to a vet though because bloat can be serious.
There are 2 kinds of bloat,gas or fluid.You need to know which it is before you can treat.If wind is the problem the sides will feel fairly hard,if it is a fluid build up the sides will feel firm but "watery".

If the problem is fluid,the drug frusimide will be needed,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back