A Good Brush For Daily Grooming Of Long Haired Sheltie

How do you brush your long haired piggy?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

kirstypiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've been told that I should brush my sheltie's hair daily, to keep the skin healthy - and from experience it helps to spot clumps that might be painful from pulling as he moves about.

I bought two of those small animal brushes with metal bristles that have little balls on the ends; a coarse and fine one. I found that the handles were so heavy that I couldn't feel when it was catching on knots, so ended up hurting him.

I managed to remove the bristled bit from the handle, (see attached image) and that really helped. Now I can feel when it's reached a knot, and I simply cut the knot off with sharp barber's scissors. But it's still not ideal. It still takes an awful lot of patience to avoid hurting him, and even then it seems almost unavoidable. I even trim his hair so that as little as possible touches the ground (so it doesn't get sticky clumps).

Are there any other brush you use for long haired breeds? Or any tricks? Perhaps I should brush twice a day? I wanted this to be a bonding experience, not a tortuous one!

1494331165986959987458.webp

Ah what a useful thread. I like the tip in the link sport billy posted about touching them round the bottom and on the feet becore cutting hair and nails to get them used to it.

Hee hee cannot imagine Jingle and Mistletoemtaking to touching of ANY kind ...

I've found with mine that keeping the fur on the rumps cut shorter helps. As did changing my bedding to vet bed where they sleep.

I use a baby brush because the pet ones hurt them too much. It works well and rarely get tangled anymore. Except Flynn because she a fidgety little thing. But it's never bad as I spot them better now.

I use a wide tooth metal comb (it's a puppy one) and a brush like the blue one in your picture. When I had a Sheltie I found his hair easier to cut if it was wet from a bath or at least damped down but Willows hair is a different texture and cuts easily.

I have two sheltie crosses- I do have a fine wire slicker brush, but much as they look pretty with their trailing 'skirts' behind them, I have found there is just no way to keep them from peeing on it once it reaches ground-length. I therefore just trim the fur so it doesn't trail on the ground, it's much easier for all of us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back