A Few Questions From A New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreyasMum

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was hoping I could get some advice.
I just took in a new pig two days ago from an (irresponsible) acquaintance of mine who got the pig from a pet store for her daughter. The daughter wasn't happy so they wanted to get rid of it (awful I know!).
They hadn't even named her yet. I knew close to nothing about them until about three days ago, but I said I would take the poor thing in. I have named her Freya.
I immediately started doing as much research as I could. She is very shy and skiddish which I understand is normal, but my main concern is how to get her to eat vegetables. I am worried about her vitamin C level and I would prefer not to go the route of supplements. Since she is from a pet store I know she probably hasn't eaten them before, but she is simply not interested. I have offered her lettuce and bell pepper myself, I have left a bit in her bowl, I have even tried chopping them up very tiny for her, but still no luck.
Another question I have is how to handle her first few weeks here. I have held her once a day since I took her in. Not for long--just about five minutes each time. I can tell she is terrified, the poor thing starts shaking when I hold her close. I want her to get used to being handled, but the last thing I want is to traumatize her.
Once I learn how to more properly care for her and get her settled, I am going to look into getting both a bigger cage and possibly a companion for her eventually since I know she would probably be happier that way.
I would love any and all advice you all have to offer, I'm just worried because I want her to be as happy and healthy as possible.

I would keep on introducing vegetables on a daily basis. She will likely eventually figure out that they are food (none of my pet store pigs had been exposed to veggies prior to coming home and it did take them some time. It's easier with two pigs because there is competition that encourages them to eat and they are also social learners who will eat what they see other pigs eating, but that being said, I did a quarantine period alone after getting pigs from the pet store and they all were eating at least some veggies on their own prior to being introduced to an established pig.) Is she eating a guinea pig pellet? Pellets made for guinea pigs are fortified with vitamin C, so if she is eating some pellets she is getting some vitamin C and it isn't dire that you get more into her ASAP.

As for holding, it's normal for young pigs who haven't been handled to be scared. They are prey animals and it's survival instinct. I always feel like the only way to get them used to being held is to hold them- I would hold new pigs every day, on my lap in a blanket that allowed them burrow in and feel safer (one of mine just used to hide her head and let her butt stick out! LOL!) Over a period of a week or two, they would get a lot more used to being held. Be patient, it takes some time. She's lucky that she's been taken in by someone who cares and wants to give her a good home! Too many people buy pigs 'for the kids' and just put them out if it doesn't work out. :(

:wel:to the forum.

Freela has already given you good advice . Just keep offering the veggies. Bell peppers are a great veggie for Guinea Pigs as they are high in Vit C . And, yes , they do eat better when they have company.

Are you happy to add your location to your profile ? We have members from all over the world and it is really helpful to know whether you are based in the UK/US – or elsewhere. Having an idea of your Country + location can sometimes help us tailor our advice .

Here is a link to help you do this …

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...cation-and-creating-an-avatar-picture.107444/

We may be able to recommend some rescues that could help you find a companion for your guinea pig - when the time is right.

Hi everyone, I was hoping I could get some advice.
I just took in a new pig two days ago from an (irresponsible) acquaintance of mine who got the pig from a pet store for her daughter. The daughter wasn't happy so they wanted to get rid of it (awful I know!).
They hadn't even named her yet. I knew close to nothing about them until about three days ago, but I said I would take the poor thing in. I have named her Freya.
I immediately started doing as much research as I could. She is very shy and skiddish which I understand is normal, but my main concern is how to get her to eat vegetables. I am worried about her vitamin C level and I would prefer not to go the route of supplements. Since she is from a pet store I know she probably hasn't eaten them before, but she is simply not interested. I have offered her lettuce and bell pepper myself, I have left a bit in her bowl, I have even tried chopping them up very tiny for her, but still no luck.
Another question I have is how to handle her first few weeks here. I have held her once a day since I took her in. Not for long--just about five minutes each time. I can tell she is terrified, the poor thing starts shaking when I hold her close. I want her to get used to being handled, but the last thing I want is to traumatize her.
Once I learn how to more properly care for her and get her settled, I am going to look into getting both a bigger cage and possibly a companion for her eventually since I know she would probably be happier that way.
I would love any and all advice you all have to offer, I'm just worried because I want her to be as happy and healthy as possible.

Hi and welcome!

You may find this link here very helpful; we have bundled the most asked for information for new owners - planned or unplanned, as in your case - into it for a quick read-up. " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

As we have got members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county, so we can always tailor any advice to what is available and doable where you are; as you can imagine, climate, brands, vet and rescue access etc. can vary widely across the world. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. thank you!

Thank you for the advice. I have added my location.
Yes, she does like her pellets and she finally ate a few bits of carrot last night! Are there any tips or tricks to introducing different kinds of veggies?
I am planning on getting her a companion, but I have to save for a bigger cage first. It may take a couple months just because I only work part time because of my classes, but I am very much looking forward to it.

If her previous owner had given you a list of veg, we would have said stick to the veggies she's used to for the 1st few weeks - and introduce new ones gradually. As this isn't the case, try and get some of the veg which are listed as daily veg in this thread ...

Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

i.e. celery, green bean ( french bean ) , cilantro (coriander), bell pepper , cucumber - and maybe a bit of spring green.

It's just trial and error really .

Be careful not to give too much of anything in the cabbage family - as this can cause gas .

grass is great in the spring, summer and autumn - but needs to be introduced gradually.
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

Her previous owner was very careless. She had her for only a week and wanted to get rid of her because her daughter didn't like her. That's why I felt so bad and just had to take the poor thing. They never fed her veggies as far as I know and she was from a pet store, so she may have never eaten them before.
Thank you for the list. I will try them gradually.

Her previous owner was very careless. She had her for only a week and wanted to get rid of her because her daughter didn't like her. That's why I felt so bad and just had to take the poor thing. They never fed her veggies as far as I know and she was from a pet store, so she may have never eaten them before.
Thank you for the list. I will try them gradually.

It is not quite easy to introduce new veg, when a piggy has never had it before. Guinea pigs learn from their elders what is safe to eat and what not. As youngsters, they sniff the mouths and snatch food from adult piggies' mouths.

Try fresh herbs and greens; they are usually going down easiest. Make quite fuss over it with lots of encouragement and praise. She'll pick up on you providing guidelines. Always only introduce one new veg at a time, so her guts can adapt and she won't get diarrhea. Leave it lying for half a day or so, so she can learn the scent and the texture. It is a slow process, but with patience and persistence you will get there.

I was also wondering--I have been trying to handle her a little bit every day, but she is absolutely terrified. I have tried the 'towel trick', as well as getting her in a little cuddle cup before lifting her out of her cage, but she shivers and whimpers and will not move. I have also tried bribing her with pieces of carrot (which she usually likes now), but she has no interest. The last thing I want is to traumatize her. Does anyone have any suggestions on making the process of her getting used to me a little easier on both of us? I just feel so bad, I don't want her to always be afraid of me.

I was also wondering--I have been trying to handle her a little bit every day, but she is absolutely terrified. I have tried the 'towel trick', as well as getting her in a little cuddle cup before lifting her out of her cage, but she shivers and whimpers and will not move. I have also tried bribing her with pieces of carrot (which she usually likes now), but she has no interest. The last thing I want is to traumatize her. Does anyone have any suggestions on making the process of her getting used to me a little easier on both of us? I just feel so bad, I don't want her to always be afraid of me.

Here are our tips on making friends with a guinea pig. It is always tough when you have to medicate a new, terrified piggy. You can still make friends afterwards, but it is more important that she gets any medical treatment she needs. Give her lots of encouragement, love and a treat afterwards in the cage.
How To Pick Up Your Guinea Pig
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back