• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

a few questions about mites, scars and weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a few health concerns about Teddy and Albert.

Both of them are quite small for there age, I was told there about one. They are also (I think) a little under weight. I will be weighing them later.

Teddy, has some sore patches on him and some small flakes. I am aware these are signs of mites and that I should get something for it but what is it? And does anyone have a link to where I could buy it online?

I have also spotted a scar on Teddy’s back, it looks recent, but not to recent. It still appears to healing and looks clean. But what could have caused it? And what should I do about it?

Other than that there ok, teeth look good, nails are fine, slight dry patch on Albert back right paw, but I’ve ordered something from GG for feet so I’m hoping that’ll help.

I don’t want to distress them by taking them too the vets, as they’ve already travelled a lot this week. But if you think I should I will

vikki

Re the scar....depends where on the back it is....sometimes if it's near the back legs it could be self inflicted...especially if it's mites and itchy! My boar had scratches on his back, more central, as a result of fighting or bullying from the other boar. Thankfully it was short lived teenage stuff...hope that helps a bit! Lesley

I don't think a Vets visit is needed - just yet awhile. I'd gently bathe the scar on the back but only if it's itching him or inflamed at all. The foot stuff from GG is brill - am sure it'll help. O0

Cooled boiled water with a bit of salt is fine...I must confess I went to the vets and he gave me some cream but the whole trip cost me £50! I think if it looks sore you can use a mild aniseptic cream like savlon but check first with those who know better! If its middle of the back it could, I'm afraid, be from mounting which can be from fighting....although mine never really showed any other signs of battle like nips to lips and ears etc, my vet asked me to be sure there wasn't anything environmental that caused it! Also the vet thought the move to new hutch kicked off a territorial dispute! I have to confess there was a lot of teeth chattering at the time during floor time. Are you convinced about the mites? There are some other threads regarding mites...if you type 'mites' in the search box you get lots of advice on treatment. Good luck. Lesley

Just had a quick look and unless I'm wrong mites seem to need a trip to the vet for a topical or injected treatment...again I'm no expert so hopefully someone more in the know will post. Lesley

thanks Lesley, I have some spot on might treament that the vets used, I found an online pharmacy that sold it (it begins with an I cant remeber what its called). I'm going to try that. if it dosent work I will go to the vets, but I didn't want to add to the stress they've already been through this week.

Vikki*and*the*Buns said:
thanks Lesley, I have some spot on might treament that the vets used, I found an online pharmacy that sold it (it begins with an I cant remeber what its called). I'm going to try that. if it dosent work I will go to the vets, but I didn't want to add to the stress they've already been through this week.

If that is Ivomec (or Ivermectin) then it's brill and will sort them out in no time!

Just my personal opinion but if you suspect mites, a trip to a good guinea savvy vet is best. They will weigh them and give Ivermectin. They should be able to give it topically instead of injection. How much ivermectin depends on the weight of the guinea.

Also if you email Chrissy at gg, she can give you advise re the scar and foot problem, she answers very quickly :)

thank you, I've got some ivermectin so I'm going to use that, I've purchased something for their feet and for the scar aswell.

I think I'm sorted now, I would take them to the vets but like I said they have been through a lot this week so I'm worried that if I take them they'll get stressed.

Hope they're getting sorted now! O0 I agree with you regarding the Vets visit - it really could stress them badly and it's really cold too. I once took a sow to the Vet after a phantom pregnancy - she caught pneumonia and went to the Bridge on Christmas Eve 0:) That was 10 years ago and I still miss her today :'( So, try what you've got and then if no better maybe reconsider an outing to the Vet O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back