A Few Newbie Questions On Doing Right By The Little Monsters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddd

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just taken on a couple of boys (litter-mates) that are three months old now. For the past month they have been inside with us but this is not a long solution due to space/smell/cleanliness. We've had them indoors for the past month to make sure they are settling well, bond with the family, and until they grow a little older/stronger. We have been placing them in the garden for a few hours a few times each week so they get used to the sights/sounds/smells. Now it's been a month we are looking to put them outside in the next few weeks, however I have some questions I would like to put to you experienced owners so to make sure we do right by them.

1) I intend to purchase a hutch. The hutch I have my eye on is two stories - a living quarters upstairs with a ramp to a small run built-in. This hutch is roofed the full way across so there will be shelter from sun/rain. I shall also purchase the cover to fit over it. The cover will have transparent plastic windows with air vents covering the wire-meshed parts of the hutch/run (you know the cover I am referring to). The hutch/run is 65"x50"x20".

2) I shall purchase a separate run and attach it to the built-in run part of the hutch so the GPs have access to the hutch and run whenever they wish. The run will be 5'x4'. This run will not be sheltered. The sheltered part is on the hutch only.

3) Where have an area of garden that is always in the shade and parts that are mostly in the sun (dependent on what time of day it is (morning or evening). In what part do you suggest this hutch is placed? i.e. always in shade for coolness, always in sunlight for warm, in sunlight in the morning to warm the GPs up...? This is the hutch we are referring to here as the run will always be in direct sunlight due to the size of it.

4) Do you suggest I move the hutch to shade in summer but in direct sunlight in winter?

5) I intend to purchase a wooden box, place it upside down and fill with hay for bedding which shall be in the bedroom compartment of the hutch. This should help keep them warm. I live in the southern part of England. The past three winters have been mild.

6) I intend to place a couple layers of carpet over the hutch to help keep them warm over the cooler months. With the fitted hutch cover too this should keep out the freeze/cold.

7) I shall also place socks over the two water bottles that will be attached to the hutch and run.

8) At what age do you feel they are strong enough to be put out over night? They are three, soon to be four, months old.

9) At which month is the latest I should place them outside to acclimatise to the outdoors?

10) We shall most probably bring them in during the weekend (incl Saturday nights) for bonding and to give them attention. Is this okay or will it cause them stress?

11) I’ve had rabbits when I was growing up and every rabbit I knew was kept outside. I thought that was the same for GPs but with the forums I read I see many are kept inside. Would you say the majority of GP owners keep theirs inside or outside?

I must say it’s great to see so many caring owners. They are delightful little monsters. I will continue to do my research before I outlay any expense but wish to do right by them so would appreciate your feedback to the above, or any tips you can provide me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Is there any chance that you can buy a shed to put the hutch in? A lot of people on the forum have them, and my first guinea pigs were in a shed. The advantages include:

- they can have a run around on the floor during winter because they can't be out in the run.
- you're more likely to visit them/spend time with them as you can stay in the shed with them, as being outside in the cold with them isn't fun.
- you can insulate/heat the shed, and provide light so they're more cozy in the winter.

I wouldn't bring them in on a weekend, and put them back outside during the week as they'll become used to the indoor temperatures and will suffer more when back outside.

I've not had outdoor pigs for many years now, so hopefully someone without outdoor pigs currently will be able to provide some more ideas, and answer your questions on hutches.

Hi and welcome!

it is great that you are doing your research beforehand!

If you can't keep your boys indoors where you have much more interaction with them, especially over the winter months, would you consider getting a shed (with a window for light) and insulate that? The disadvantage with a hutch is that you have trudge outside, open it to feed and to clean it in all weathers and in the dark. it needs to be protected from full sun in summer; storms, damp and frost in winter. You also need to close any access to the lawn overnight and during cold, wet days (drafts can cause illness and even kill!). You see a lot less of your guinea pigs as a result!

An insulated shed would give you an extra layer of protection that allows you to interact with your guinea pigs in the dry and give them safe run time, never mind the time of the year and the day! Guinea pigs don't do big temperature shifts, so bringing them inside and out during the colder months is NOT a good idea! A shed is also safer in storms.

When moving them outside, treat them like you would tender plants - harden them off gradually and move them out when you can do that safely with any tender plants. Don't move your guinea pigs out during a spell with colder nights (daytime/nighttime temperature swings).

Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs
Hot Weather Management And Heat Strokes
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

PS: It is unfortunately a persistent myth that litter brothers will not fall out. Whether two boars do during their teenage months depends entirely on the personality mix, whatever the age and relationship. Two dominant boys are bound to clash, whether they are brothers or not! Thankfully, the majority of boys make it to a hormonally more settled adulthood together, but if you have got two same age sub-adults, it often makes for a rather difficult time.
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Boars: Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back