A Curly Nail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeak Dreams

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi my two pigs Bubbles and Teddy have a curly nail on one of their paws I've only just noticed that Bubble has got one however Teddy has had hers for as long as i remember her nail seems to curl from the root here's a photoIMG_1017.webp it isn't causing any pain to either of them so should i just trim it as normal if they aren't in any pain?

A couple of mine have/had nails that curl sideways. It makes them harder to trim, but it's good to trim them little and often. It shouldn't cause pain. If you let it go for too long between trims the wick (where the blood supply is) can lengthen and you won't actually be able to cut it short, but if you keep it trimmed then hopefully it won't grow long enough to cause an issue :)

A couple of mine have/had nails that curl sideways. It makes them harder to trim, but it's good to trim them little and often. It shouldn't cause pain. If you let it go for too long between trims the wick (where the blood supply is) can lengthen and you won't actually be able to cut it short, but if you keep it trimmed then hopefully it won't grow long enough to cause an issue :)
okay thanks i was just bit worried as it looked painful

I agree with Critter. The curling tends to happen to older piggies whose nails have overgrown at one point in their lives, but once it's happened, trim little and often to recondition. It's more difficult with black nails I find and more likely to be overgrown.

I agree with Critter. The curling tends to happen to older piggies whose nails have overgrown at one point in their lives, but once it's happened, trim little and often to recondition. It's more difficult with black nails I find and more likely to be overgrown.
the bad thing about it all is the fact that both pigs who have the curly nails both have black nails

It's really about finding the happy medium, between them eating their favourite food, holding them in different positions, or I have a couple which will stand whilst I pick each paw up, others require more physical technique.

I have put the torch on the table, then hold a piggie with foot in the light and clip away, really depends in the pig.

It's really about finding the happy medium, between them eating their favourite food, holding them in different positions, or I have a couple which will stand whilst I pick each paw up, others require more physical technique.

I have put the torch on the table, then hold a piggie with foot in the light and clip away, really depends in the pig.
i'll try that thanks xx

Mine has a nail that corkscrews as well, the adoption centre suggested it could be a result of inbreeding. Keeping it trimmed often can result in nails becoming straighter.
Good luck!

Yeah my sows, boar and even a younger boar have weird claws. Going to do as others suggested on my thread and cut a bit off but do it more often.

Critter has said it perfectly. We have a couple of those curly nails, unfortunately they are on the inside of the nail so it is harder to get at, but once they're cut, they seem to now be nice and straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back