a complete spaz...

• Thread starter Thread starter LilTuff
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LilTuff

Okay, so! I have a boy, got him when he was a baby and he's HUGE now, but he's never gotten any less skiddish. He's actually more of a spaz, and something he does that it incredibly annoying if he like attacks his water bottle.. He will go through an entire bottle in like two days and that seems really odd to me.. I've never had a pig be so ... upbeat.. lol.. Is this normal? It sure is obnoxious.. ::)

Thanks guys!

Well post ap picture of how big he is, weight him and tell us in lb, if he is a BIG BIG BIG piggie he might get extemely hot, and for a pig pig he would need alot of water anyway, so he might drink it to cool himself down and because he's a BIG piggie he will drink enough to cool him down and quench him thirst :)

SSPX0307.jpg

He's pretty big lol. I took this yesterday cuz he just looked so funny

WOW! Yes he IS big piggy, have you got any weighing scales you can weight him on? He looks about 5 - 6lb :|:|

No I don't :-\
I could try to get ahold of one eventually but it's not a priority ATM lol. He's healthy as a horse he's just a really big boy lol.

Awwwh hes a lovely piggie! And what I said about the water, fo his size I think it's about right for 2 days going through a bottle of water, he's HUGE! He must be a big breed of pig

Is he kept in a tank? If he is that is why he is drinking so much Guinea should never be housed in tanks. They get way to hot with not enough ventalation. even if there is no lid on it it is not suitable accomadation.

Pumpkinpiggie said:
Is he kept in a tank? If he is that is why he is drinking so much Guinea should never be housed in tanks. They get way to hot with not enough ventalation. even if there is no lid on it it is not suitable accomadation.

I never noticed the glass infront of him :s

Yeah I agree mum, glass is a good insulator, keeps in the heat, maybe thats why, I would recoment a hutch like this : http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/large/August05/lg_10504_4a8bd.jpg

And for his size I think you would need a big one, glass tank is really far too hot got a guinea pigs, glass is used for fish, and reptiles that need the tropical heat you see.

♥Ali-loves-piggies♥ said:
Pumpkinpiggie said:

Yeah I agree mum, glass is a good insulator, keeps in the heat, maybe thats why, I would recoment a hutch like this : http://www.petsmart.com/media/ps/images/products/detail/large/August05/lg_10504_4a8bd.jpg

And for his size I think you would need a big one, glass tank is really far too hot got a guinea pigs, glass is used for fish, and reptiles that need the tropical heat you see.

I knew I couldn't get away with being on this forum and not being told these things..

I already know that I could get him better than the tank, but I assure you, HE'S JUST FINE. =] He gets everything he needs.

Besides, until I move out and get myself settled, I can't afford to buy another cage. I appreciate the concern though

LilTuff said:
Pumpkinpiggie said:

I knew I couldn't get away with being on this forum and not being told these things..

I already know that I could get him better than the tank, but I assure you, HE'S JUST FINE. =] He gets everything he needs.

Besides, until I move out and get myself settled, I can't afford to buy another cage. I appreciate the concern though

You know you should get him something better than a tank you have said it yourself . You know it was not suitable housing for a guinea pig then why put one in one. When I saw you post I was going to say he sounds dehydrated and get him to the vets. But I then saw the picture of him saw the tank and knew this was the problem with the drinking issue. HE IS NOT FINE he sounds DEHYDRATED and needs to be seen by a vet. His needs something better to live in.

I strongly agree with pumpkin, none of us are being nasty but glass just isnt the best idea for piggies! :) You could be really damaging him! I think if you insist on keeping him in that cage even for a couple of days, take him for a vet check just in case, better to be safe than sorry! ;) You can get really cheap hutches and cages on ebay, check it out, you may be suprised at what you can get for your money! Make sure he always has fresh water available.

Thankyou smiler :) I have just read the first post again and to the op you say after a year he is still skitish this is due to dehyration. I was quite concerned so rang my friend whom is a vet. Both her and her husband are vets and have been for the last 10 years. They both agreed with me that the problems your having is due to dehyration and will get better once housed in suitable accomadation. You must also seek vet care for your piggie also.
I only have the animals welfare at heart you asked for advice so I gave it. I got concerned for your pet so sought advice from not one but two vets for you. In my book that is helping someone.

Pumpkinpiggie said:
LilTuff said:
Pumpkinpiggie said:

You know you should get him something better than a tank you have said it yourself . You know it was not suitable housing for a guinea pig then why put one in one. When I saw you post I was going to say he sounds dehydrated and get him to the vets. But I then saw the picture of him saw the tank and knew this was the problem with the drinking issue. HE IS NOT FINE he sounds DEHYDRATED and needs to be seen by a vet. His needs something better to live in.

He's fine and sometimes people can sound too preachy when they "give advice".. it's hard to distinguish when someone's being rude or being genuine..

Anyway,

I HAD him in a regular guinea pig cage and he was making a complete mess, and he was just as much of a skitzo in there as he is in the tank. He doesn't need to go to the vet I've housed guinea pigs in tanks for years upon years, and they've outlasted any other rodent I've had in a tank or in a regular 'hutch'. He doesn't excessively drink he picks the bottle up and down and shakes out all the water and there's a puddle of it under where the bottle drips out. I've tried changing the bottle so that it drops less but it still happens.

I think I just have a destructive pig. ::)

It is a shame you feel you have been preached to. Nobody is trying to do that. You have received some excellent advice from people who are doing their best to help you.

It surprises me that you say you know a tank is not suitable accommodation for a guinea pig and then go on to say you have kept them in tanks for years upon years.

I hope he is well and just a big boisterous piggie; he looks cute.

I said he could be kept in better, but I still think the tank is perfectly fine. It's never brought me or my animals any harm.

Liltuff
I am shocked by your attitude I am trying to help you here. Ok if you wont take him to be checked over by a vet which sounds the case if only to put you mind at rest. Put your piggie back into the hutch if he is kicking out the bedding put a small guard down to prevent this cardboard would work. I really just want to help I have kept piggies for well over 20years now. Looking at your name and email addy sugests your age to me anyway so quit that attitude it is uncalled for.
Yes how you read something sometimes sounds horrid but it depends on your mood really when reading it to also if its something you do not want really hear.

A tank really isnt the best thing to be in! If he makes a mess in a 'regular' cage, there are lots of things you can use that arent sawdust and therefore wont make a mess...even putting a towel down is a good option, just shake it out every couple of days and wash it once a week! O0

If hes skitish, that will probably change as he gets more used to you and being handled, especially if he has had the stress of an op at any time, he will need time to chill out!

Also, maybe it could be boredom? Try putting some toys in his home, my boar harry has a teddy and a jingly ball that he loves playing with! If you look on any website under 'guines pig housing' you wont see a tank anywhere, and thats for a reason, a lot of the people on here have rescues like i do, or have lots of experience with different piggies and you can get good advice! Like you say you have done this the whole time so dont know any different, so its a good thing that people are giving you positive advice, ive made some silly mistakes that people on here have really helped me with!

Good luck with him, send us some more pictures, especially if he gets a teddy as thats super cute and he is a gorgeous piggy and certainly looks well fed! :D  ;D

Also, a consultation with the vet is a bit over a tenner, (where i am anyway) i would and have paid that to put my mind at rest! O0

Again, no-one is being nasty we just all love our piggies and want to give you as much info as possible so you can get the most out of you little boy!

Oh yeah, make sure the bottle isnt attached too tightly as that can made the water leak!

Ooooo inspiration, pumpkin suggested i should make a c&c cage once...if you are in the united states they seem really cheap to make if you wanted too! You can create your whole cage for practically nothing! Dont know if you have heard of a c&c cage (i hadnt til about a week ago) but if you go onto the housing section on here you can take a look at other peoples, some are really cool!

And make sure you send us some piccies, i love big fat boars! ;D

cc cages are very cheap to make and I believe in the USA correx and cubes are very easy to get hold of. You could make the correx higher to avoid mess.

Yeah I've seen those they are VERY cool! I don't have the space right now though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back