A cheap way to heat your sheds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This may sound bonkers ;D but my OH is an electrical engineer and has made me a heat lamp for the shed. It consists of a 100watt lightbulb inside a metal biscuit tin.
How he made it was very simple he used an old lamp connection drilled a hole to put lightbulb inside. Then drilled lots of holes in the tin lid. The metal gets very hots and heats up the shed. It is not expensive to run as all your doing is leaving a light on :) I have been testing it out the last few nights and its brilliant. So I thought I would share a cheaper way to keep them warm during the winter months :)
I do have a thermostat convector heater in the shed too, but I am hoping I wont have to use it this winter :) going to make another heat lamp and see how we get on.

what a great idea u should get ure hubby to make loads and sell them i'm sure people on here would buy them :)

A skinny breeder I know uses them, just be careful if the bulb bursts one pig I had got burnt by a bit of the glass

SkinnyLover said:
A skinny breeder I know uses them, just be careful if the bulb bursts one pig I had got burnt by a bit of the glass
Thanks for the warning
Its perfectly safe and has been properly tested the bulb inside the tin so if it did burst the glass would be in the tin and is well away from the piggies. Think Rob would have a fit if I asked him to make loads ;D ;D but saying that if I had a dozen biscuit/roses/quality street tins I could sell a few can get the light fittings from B&Q. Will keep you all posted on what Rob says about making some ;)
Anyway the shed stayed lovely and warm last night :) so the thermal foil and the heat lamp are doing a fantastic job. I am trying to find another tin as in the really cold months I think two would be better.

If you did make more you'd have to go through tins of celebrations/roses/quality street! That would be the fun part :D xx

jnenbnb said:
If you did make more you'd have to go through tins of celebrations/roses/quality street! That would be the fun part :D xx
MMMmmmmmmmmmmmm yummy at the thought I would end up spotty ;D I think I am going to ask at school, friends and family lots of people buy them in for christmas. Its the tins I need even though the contents are nice :)

Sounds a good idea although I'd be too worried about the bulb exploding or the tin melting ::)

gp-d said:
Sounds a good idea although I'd be too worried about the bulb exploding or the tin melting ::)
My husband is an electrical engineer the tin would not melt and the bulb would not explode. It has been properly tested before use ;) the tin has holes all over it to prevent overheating. It is not inside any hutches it is clipped to the shed wall. Believe me there is no way I would post about something that would not be safe to use. Rob said he might make a few if people provided a tin ;)

whereabouts do you live? (e.g. do i need to post my tin or can I come round and drop it off ;) if the latter we could empty the tin together first!)

I have bought a heat light as is used in pig pens by farmers .Same idea as your husbands lights but a larger bulb so should get more heat.

I used this idea a few years ago when i had a bird aviary,I had it in the shed but in the part the birds where not in and it stopped the water freezing up even in the depths of winter.
Only difference was i used a ceramic bulb rather than a light bulb because i found with a light bulb the light used to shine through the holes ::)

Sokel yes there is a glow from the bulb from the holes I think it looks funky and give them a bit of light through the night.
I will pop out to the shed and take a photo not sure if it will work though.

Pumpkinpiggie said:
Sokel yes there is a glow from the bulb from the holes I think it looks funky and give them a bit of light through the night.
I will pop out to the shed and take a photo not sure if it will work though.
yes i am sure it will be fine for Piggies but i found it disturbed the budgies and cockatiels as they would make a right racket chirping in the middle of the night ;D

Sounds like a good idea, my piggies share their room with the tortoises so the tortoise heat lamp keeps the room warm on the cold mornings...not that its ever as cold as a shed would get cos they live indoors ;D

my oh is curious to know if the bulb holder (the bit the bulb connects to) is outside if the tin, with just the bulb on the inside of the tin.Just worried about how hot the plastic gets. He is interested in making one for me. any photos would be a fabulous help. great idea x

I didnt use a plastic fitting for that very reason.I used a ceramic fitting O0

Sorry cant post pic of heat lamp havent worked out how to do it yet >My son is going to show me when he comes home this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back