• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

A bit worried about new babies

• Thread starter Thread starter Tracy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tracy

Hi everyone. I got 2 baby rescue piggies yesterday and I'm a bit worried about them. They are only about 6/7 weeks old and they are very quiet and I don't think they have eaten or drunk anything at all :( I know they're bound to be scared and bemused at the moment so I have basically just left them to settle down but I do keep checking on them. When I got my other babies they were very skittish and obviously frightened but they were full of life and they are absolutely fine now. They are really happy and settled. Do you think I should be worried or are they still settling in. It has only been a day after all but I just wish they would eat something :(

Are you 100% sure they are not eating - in my experience, they tend to eat when you are not around whilst they are settling in....

I am sure they are fine - just taking their time adjusting to their new surroundings.

Well, to be honest Beany, I can't be 100% they're not eating so maybe you are right. I just pulled back some of their hay which they are hiding under and they both dashed out so they are certainly lively enough just not very vocal at the moment but I do tend to worry too much! ;D Thanks for quick response, Tracy :)

The noise will come later beleive me !

An easy way to see if they are eating is offer some veg or a bowl of grass

They are settling in so i shouldnt worry O0

my sister took in a rescue once and she thought the same. I told her to stop checking for a day! After half a day she wrote me an email saying he had actually eaten half a carrot she had put in the cage ;)

They will come out when you are not looking, so if you keep looking they wont eat ;)

If they dont eat, you will keep looking even more - which makes them eat even less ;)

so stop the cycle, get yourself a good book and just sit in a different room for a while and leave them to it! O0

;D ;D ;D You are so right Abnoba and thanks everyone for your advice :-* I'm off to the library now to find a good book 2funny I can't wait to get some pics of them. They're gorgeous! But then, I would say that wouldn't I :D

Maybe you could read a book about installing cctv........kill two birds with one stone ;D

Hope they are doing well! :)

If I'm worried about any of mine I cut up some veg into neat cubes & count them. You can then tell if they've had a nibble out of the veg or if they've eaten a whole piece. Cucumber always a good one because of the water content if they're not drinking. Might be worth giving them a bowl of water near where they hide if they're too scared to get to a bottle. Good luck.

Thanks for all your helpful advice :) I'm very pleased to report that they are doing very well and I was worried about nothing ;) I have kept a small bowl of water in there with them as this is what they were used to, I've also given them a bottle but, as yet, I haven't seen them drinking from it. I don't think they know how but they are certainly eating and drinking very well now. I will post some pics tomorrow :)
Thanks again, Tracy x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back