80cm Cage?

Bellasmom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi I’m no where near ready to get a pair of piggies yet but wondering if a 2 tier 85cm x 50 cage would be ok?
My husband is quite good with building stuff and I’ve a table I’d like to convert. It’s about 65 high with 2 shelves approx 20cm between each one. I would remove one so the basement would be more cosy and the top light and airy. was thinking about having the table upside down to let plenty of light in then using similar to c&c mesh to line the sides. Not sure about doors yet that’s where hubby is useful hehe. It’ll be for in the house and they’d have a small room to run about it whilst I work 3 days a week then the other days it’s only be for approx 1 hour. Not looking to save money but would prefer to reuse/recycle where I can
Thanks for reading

Unfortunately that size cage will not be suitable. Please see our cage size guide Cage Size Guide which shows the recommended minimum cage sizes. Additional levels do not count towards the floor space needed and the square foot measurement is per level. Please note that if you intend to get males you will want to consider going larger than the recommended minimum to minimise the risk of fall outs

Thank you for the reply. Gutted that extra levels aren’t counted. Will have to totally rethink where they’d be staying as I don’t think I could fit the 120cm cage in there.

Thank you for the reply. Gutted that extra levels aren’t counted. Will have to totally rethink where they’d be staying as I don’t think I could fit the 120cm cage in there. Does it matter too much how the floorspace is laid out? the Room is very narrow at 180cm, could I build something to fit that but I’d only be able to go about 40cm deep.

Thank you for the reply. Gutted that extra levels aren’t counted. Will have to totally rethink where they’d be staying as I don’t think I could fit the 120cm cage in there. Does it matter too much how the floorspace is laid out? the Room is very narrow at 180cm, could I build something to fit that but I’d only be able to go about 40cm deep.

I think its the total space that is the most important. However, with going for a thin cage you do need to be very wary of layout. Anything that causes a bottleneck where two piggies can't get away from each other easily can cause tension

@Lady Kelly raises a really good point.
As far as piggies are concerned that main level is the one that counts, and that needs to be pretty big. Additional levels are simply a bonus that they don't always use.
I have 4 piggies, and 2 of them love their second level.
However 2 refuse point bleak to use it, so for them it is as if it doesn't exist.

Back