5wk old pig won’t eat veggies

PoptartShop

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys! I haven’t been on in awhile, but I rescued two additional female pigs a few months ago. One turned out to be pregnant. She had a successful pregnancy, baby is healthy and vibrant!

Separated him from mom around 3wks old (he started trying to mount) & he’s housed with an older boar.

He eats pellets & hay, but so far hasn’t had any interest in veggies. I put some peppers in his food dish this morning to try, so maybe he will want it but so far no interest. Is this normal? First time dealing with a youngster, so just wanted some advice. Thank you.

You may have to just persist, especially with pepper. Have you tried the different colours and he likes none of them? You can also try coriander.

As an aside, did you separate when he was 250g or 3 weeks (whichever came first)?

Yes because he was a bit over 250g by that time and he had turned 3 weeks. He’s gonna be a tank.

Okay will do. Yes I’ve tried all different colors. But I’ll see how he does I’ll leave them out. I remember when I had rescued a 6wk old pig she was a bit hesitant to try them at first.
Maybe I’ll get some coriander. Any others I should try besides that and pepper?

Cucumber, lettuce (such as romaine or little gem) and green beans. You may just have to keep trying. Does the boar eat veg?

Cucumber, lettuce (such as romaine or little gem) and green beans. You may just have to keep trying. Does the boar eat veg?
Yes he does! He’s copied everything else except eat the veggies. I’ll try to get some of those and see what he likes. Thank you guys! :)

Persevere. Just keep offering and hopefully he will realise soon enough. I took in an older boar (was told he was 6 weeks but would guess he was at least 6 months). I just kept offering small bits and leaving it in his cage for ages. I left some pepper in overnight once and just as I was about to take out the chunk of slightly shrivelled pepper the next morning he only went and ate it 🤦‍♀️

Persevere. Just keep offering and hopefully he will realise soon enough. I took in an older boar (was told he was 6 weeks but would guess he was at least 6 months). I just kept offering small bits and leaving it in his cage for ages. I left some pepper in overnight once and just as I was about to take out the chunk of slightly shrivelled pepper the next morning he only went and ate it 🤦‍♀️

Yeah that’s a good idea, I think I’ll have to do that to start. Thank you! :)

Hi! At first, my guinea pigs were quite curious with a cucumber. They enjoyed it. Then, I tried feeding them tomatoes... they didn't want it. Then, I tried bell peppers, and they loved it! I recommend trying different veggies to see which your piggie likes. Hope this helps!

Hi! At first, my guinea pigs were quite curious with a cucumber. They enjoyed it. Then, I tried feeding them tomatoes... they didn't want it. Then, I tried bell peppers, and they loved it! I recommend trying different veggies to see which your piggie likes. Hope this helps!
That’s not entirely a bad idea. But it’s better to stick with the staples first, especially with a piggy that doesn’t seem to like anything. Fruit and some veg are an occasional treat so it wouldn’t worry me if they didn’t like it. For example mine won’t touch strawberries apparently they’re hideous 🤷🏾‍♀️

@PoptartShop was he eating veg when in with mum?

That’s not entirely a bad idea. But it’s better to stick with the staples first, especially with a piggy that doesn’t seem to like anything. Fruit and some veg are an occasional treat so it wouldn’t worry me if they didn’t like it. For example mine won’t touch strawberries apparently they’re hideous 🤷🏾‍♀️

@PoptartShop was he eating veg when in with mum?
No he didn’t but I read up that when they’re only a few weeks old it’s not unheard of for them not to want to eat veggies but I had them out and mom ate them and he copied everything she did (same with the old boar!). I did leave a pepper out yesterday and there MAY have been some nibble..gonna try it again today.

Update, guys! :)
So it just took him a bit longer...he turned 6wks old this past Friday - that's when he FINALLY started showing more interest & now he's eating veggies like a champ. Guess some pigs it takes a bit longer. :D
So YAY! He gobbled his peppers and cucumber up this morning!

Back