5ft Double Chartwell hutch for guinea pigs

eksarahw

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the group and looking to learn lots before getting any little pigs of my own 🙂
Wondered if anyone has the 5ft double chartwell hutch for 2 guinea pigs and what they thought of it? Also, what are measurements of the footprint of the hutch? I'm looking to fit it into a tight space!
Thanks in advance ☺

:wel:

Its great you’re doing your research first!
This link is to the H&R website which gives details of the measurements of the hutch - it says the foot print is 150x57 - 5ft Double Guinea Pig Hutch | Fast Shipping | Made In UK

(Do note that a 5ft hutch is only suitable for two female guinea pigs (it’s too small for two boars)).

This is also a link to our collection of new owner guides which will also help but we are all more than happy to answer any questions you have!
New Owners' Essential Information and Practical Tips Starter Collection

Thanks for your quick reply! Oh,I thought 5ft hutches were suitable for 2 pigs? Yes, I've been researching for few months now 🙂 would love to have them indoors but not enough space and I have hayfever so might not be best idea..

I have a nice wee summerhouse which I've treated inside and it seems watertight (survived 2 years so far) so thought that would be good protection for them. Would also love some tunnels for then to access outside space when weather behaves...perhaps runaround tunnel/run system..although pricey?! 🙂 any tips much appreciated!

Thanks again! 😁

Attachments

• 20220827_200340.webp
    20220827_200340.webp
    122.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20220902-161744_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20220902-161744_Chrome.webp
    50 KB · Views: 11
A 5ft hutch is big enough for 2 female piggies but male piggies need more room. If you were to get 2 boys you would need the 6ft hutch.

Are you going to adopt your piggies?

Yes, they are suitable for two piggies, but only two females. If you were to get two boys you need a 6ft hutch - boys need more room and would possibly struggle with lack of in a 5ft hutch.

Your hutch also does not need to be a two storey should you not want it to be, or want to save money and get a single storey! Upper levels of hutches don’t count towards the space anyway as piggies are ground roaming and some won’t use ramps.

Absolutely a shed is a great idea, particularly for winter. You will need to keep an eye on things in summer depending on how your summer house behaves. My boys live in a hutch in my shed and its a godsend in winter but gets too hot in summer so they have to come out.
I do have a two storey hutch but I don’t allow my boys to use both levels (the ramp has been removed). They live downstairs and have constant access to the shed floor in summer. In winter they have the downstairs part and shed floor during the day but I lock them in the upstairs part overnight and ensure it is stuffed with hay as it is much easier to keep just the upper level warm enough. Plus it saves on bedding and hay costs to only have to fill one half fully (the amount of hay I get through in winter is crazy!)

Thank you for your replies! Yes, if I were to get pigs I'd be rehoming them from a rescue centre 🙂

I’d recommend you speak with a rescue before purchasing any hutch so that you can be sure you get something which they approve of in size and suitability.

There may also be a seasonal consideration depending on when you were thinking of getting them. Some rescues won’t rehome to outdoor homes or during this time of year. If piggies have been kept indoors up until now, then it is now starting to get too late to move them outside as there isn’t time to acclimatise to outdoor conditions before winter.

Yes I did think that about the time of year..I've been in touch with the rescue centre in Ayr and pestering them with lots of questions too 😀

Back