• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

5 Year Old Guinea Pig Sedation

Petra128

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old guinea pig, Rose, who the vet currently suspects has teeth issues (she's drooling a lot, off her food a bit (didn't eat at all from yesterday to today but began eating soft food today thankfully!) and has very weepy eyes), and they want to put her under sedation to check. I'm really concerned about this - I've never had a guinea pig under sedation, but I did have a rabbit go under and she almost passed away. Obviously I don't want to leave Rose in pain or anything, but at the same time I'm so concerned about the stress of it all. She's never been a friendly piggy, she hates people and already gets stressed by the fact I have to help her with her grooming now (she struggles to reach her bum), so I guess I'm just trying to weigh up the pros and cons and try to decide what's best by her.

I think it's made worse because unfortunately she now has to live alone since her little sister crossed the rainbow bridge a month ago after a stroke, as I don't plan on getting any more pets and don't know of anybody willing to take on an older guinea pig who already has some issues.

I guess I'm just looking for advice and reassurance that the sedation is the best thing, and advice on helping her through it?

Its a difficult one. I had to have Rainbow Piggy The Ever Beautiful Betsy spayed when she was nearly 5 and she got over it OK. If she needs dental treatment it clearly needs to be done. Are you anywhere near the Cat and Rabbit at Northampton? They are the best for dental issues. Could your vet refer you?

Unfortunately when I took Rose back to the vets this morning, the vet and I both noticed she had deteriorated overnight and was now obviously in a lot more pain despite the pain relief, as well as no longer eating or drinking anymore. Considering her stress (she was clearly very scared at the vets) and the fact that the vet believed this specific issue would only reoccur in a few months time and be a continuous issue for her, I made the difficult decision to help her cross the rainbow bridge and held her as she passed.

Unfortunately when I took Rose back to the vets this morning, the vet and I both noticed she had deteriorated overnight and was now obviously in a lot more pain despite the pain relief, as well as no longer eating or drinking anymore. Considering her stress (she was clearly very scared at the vets) and the fact that the vet believed this specific issue would only reoccur in a few months time and be a continuous issue for her, I made the difficult decision to help her cross the rainbow bridge and held her as she passed.
I'm so sorry to hear that! You made the best and kindest decision, and you held her as she passed too. Sending hugs :hug:

Back