• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

4 week old guinea

• Thread starter Thread starter campbell
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

campbell

I have a 4 week old guinea-pig and am worried about her having left her mum so early. I've always thaught they shouldn't leave until they're 6 weeks old, is this true? If so, does anyone know of any supplements we can add to her diet to help her grow healthily? Or of any implications of leaving her mum at this age? Thanks. Any advice will be appreiciated.

Did she leave her mum at 4 weeks old? I think she will be fine, I know some people on here have had to remove them as early as somewhere around 2 weeks (don't quote me on it, but it wa ssomething like that) because the baby was trying to mate with the mum.

I'm no expert but i have read on here that some people have needed to seperate babies form their mum as early as 3 weeks and the babies have been fine!

So i'm guessing he/she should be fine, although someone else will be able to tell you more than me O0

Just had a look on Guinea Lynx and they say male babies should be removed at 3 weeks, so I think your baby should be fine :)

She'll be fine :) If she is indeed a girl then she can stay with mum :) Why are you separating?

Welcome to the forum :)

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm glad she should be okay. I didn't breed her myself but she's come to live with my little gang of 5. ;D

My Tilly was removed at a very early age :( but I was told to put her in with my other two who were about 2-3 weeks older and she was fine still is they loved eachother from the moment they met over a bowl of veg! It is very sad to see them so tiny and they must miss their mum I felt terrible when I found out Tilly was very young but I am glad I had her!

I will be removing our three baby boars from mum in two weeks time. The boars are rumbling around thier mum already ::)

i had dakota from 1 week and he was fine (well not exactly fine as he had a birth defect) but i managed to keep him fo 6 month sure you're piggy will be fine

Pumpkinpiggie said:
I will be removing our three baby boars from mum in two weeks time. The boars are rumbling around thier mum already ::)

I had to take Mars and Galaxy away this week,they were rumbling etc round Tia and she was getting fed up with it,now they just challenge each other and its hilarious to say how big they are ::)

I took my 3 away from dixie at 3 weeks old :) they were fine on their own..well not on their own the boys live together and meeka lives with her mum and the other females :)

Puggies Rule said:
Pumpkinpiggie said:

I had to take Mars and Galaxy away this week,they were rumbling etc round Tia and she was getting fed up with it,now they just challenge each other and its hilarious to say how big they are ::)
It is so funny I first heard a rumble off Flash mmmmmmm he is a stunner must be in thier genes ;D

I had to seperate a litter from their mum at 2 weeks because there was some serious humping going on ::) mucky little monkeys!

hils78 said:
I had to seperate a litter from their mum at 2 weeks because there was some serious humping going on ::) mucky little monkeys!
I have my beady eyes on our little cuties as you know, I can see them while sat on the settee none of that will happen under my roof ;)

;D Lmao. Campbell she will be fine. When are you planning to introduce her to the others? :)

A baby boar has to be seperated at about 4 weeks, because then he starts to know he's a male and has hos euhmm needs towards females hihi. Girls stay until about 5 or 6 weeks. Sometimes longer, depends on if they are going to stay here

Four weeks in my opinion is to late. I have known of sons getting their mothers pregnant at this age. :)

With four weeks? Never had a problem with four weeks, it's a bit standard here that the guys leave mom at four weeks. Haha maybe our baby boars are a bit slow hahahha

Cavy Crazy said:
;D Lmao. Campbell she will be fine. When are you planning to introduce her to the others? :)

She is already in with my other 5 girls and they have settled in well together. Thanks for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back