4 Month Old Weighing 1 Kilo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cute_Guineapigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 4 month old boar piggie, Harry. He weighs 1000g. :eek: He weighs the same as my 2 year old boar. What could his adult weight be? He seems to be gaining around 80g a week. He is healthy, eats well but not overly greedy.

Not sure I know the answer to that one, sorry. I did have one very big framed heavy sow who weighed 1500g for most of her adult life and the vet was never bothered about her weight, and my NB weighs about 1300g.
If you are worried about his weight you could speak to the vet and make sure that he has access only to the right amount of pellets.

:D It is a good thing when a piggie puts on a lot of weight because they can lose it so easily. But as VickiaA says, perhaps you should cut down on the amount of pellets he has. Does he have enough room for exercise? Are you in the habit of giving him sugary or artificial shop-bought treats (which are bad for them) ? :no:

Hi, I put a thread on here a little while ago about our three boars. They were six months old and already weighed 1.1kg, 1.2kg and 1.2 kg. Although teenagers in behaviour, they seemed to have reached adult size very early. They were, and are, all eating healthily, are perfectly well and are in proportion as far as size and weight go. They are now 1.3kg, 1.2kg and 1.2kg. Some piggies are obviously just bigger built. As long as they are healthy I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for your replies. He shares 60g of Science Selective pellets with his 1 year piggie friend per day. I don't top up the food when it goes. I give my adult piggies 20g of pellets per day, but I thought as he's a baby, I would put an extra 20g in for him, as I believe they are supposed to be unlimited pellets for babies.

They don't get any sugary treats, just pellets, hay and veg. They don't have sugary veg either, mainly lettuce, pepper, cucumber, with some variety.

They get daily floor time, and he spends most of the time running around, popcorning and playing chase with Charlie. He doesn't look fat, he's grown in proportion, he just looks like an adult already.

Have you got a pigture? :D If he is the grey pig in your profile pic I am wondering if he is a Rex piggy like mine <<<<<<< If he is then they tend to be a bit chunkier than normal pigs ;)

Have you got a pigture? :D If he is the grey pig in your profile pic I am wondering if he is a Rex piggy like mine <<<<<<< If he is then they tend to be a bit chunkier than normal pigs ;)

I'll try and get an up to date picture of Harry today. He's a Chinchilla guinea pig. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back