3 Weeks In And We Love Our Piggies :)

Abidaisybuds

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So we have had our 2 boars for 3 weeks now and they are doing so well, the lady we got them from wanted them to stay together as they had already bonded and were inseparable and they still get on really well. We are entering the teenage months and i am making sure that they have 2 of everything and also 2 to 3 hide aways so that if they need it they can have alone time... i have yet to establish who is the alpha although teddy seems to do the mating dance around barnaby i am wondering if he is going to be the more dominant of the 2. My daughter who is 8 has continued to take excellent care of them she has tamed them so quickly that barnaby sits in front of her (she sits in their enclosure with them!) to be stroked and if she stops he looks at her as if to say 'why have you stopped!' he even lets her give him a brush. She has been able to pick them up in a cosy as well. She asked me today if we need to clip their claws? I would like to get them more settled before we check/attempt this.. how often does this need to be done?
I have included a couple of photos of their enclosure (we cleaned it today so all tidy!)IMG_2698.webp Barnaby on the left and teddy (i know not original as he is a teddy breed but my daughter loved the name!)
IMG_0330 2.webp

Lovely wee piggies, and your daughter sounds like a very caring and responsible young lady. You should be proud of her (as I'm sure you are!)

Edit, sorry, I didn't answer your question. I just trim mine when I think they need it, so I don't know how long. If they're less than about 6 months, they probably don't need it, as they have much finer claws. However, I did clip my boys nails when they were young, but just a tiny bit, so that they would be used to it - didn't help much, they still hate it. lol

Lovely wee piggies, and your daughter sounds like a very caring and responsible young lady. You should be proud of her (as I'm sure you are!)

Edit, sorry, I didn't answer your question. I just trim mine when I think they need it, so I don't know how long. If they're less than about 6 months, they probably don't need it, as they have much finer claws. However, I did clip my boys nails when they were young, but just a tiny bit, so that they would be used to it - didn't help much, they still hate it. lol

Thanks! that really helps :)

As for my daughter she loves animals she already has two gerbils and 1 hamster! We teach our children at home so animal care is part of her schooling xx

So we have had our 2 boars for 3 weeks now and they are doing so well, the lady we got them from wanted them to stay together as they had already bonded and were inseparable and they still get on really well. We are entering the teenage months and i am making sure that they have 2 of everything and also 2 to 3 hide aways so that if they need it they can have alone time... i have yet to establish who is the alpha although teddy seems to do the mating dance around barnaby i am wondering if he is going to be the more dominant of the 2. My daughter who is 8 has continued to take excellent care of them she has tamed them so quickly that barnaby sits in front of her (she sits in their enclosure with them!) to be stroked and if she stops he looks at her as if to say 'why have you stopped!' he even lets her give him a brush. She has been able to pick them up in a cosy as well. She asked me today if we need to clip their claws? I would like to get them more settled before we check/attempt this.. how often does this need to be done?
I have included a couple of photos of their enclosure (we cleaned it today so all tidy!)View attachment 74702 Barnaby on the left and teddy (i know not original as he is a teddy breed but my daughter loved the name!)
View attachment 74701
Glad to hear your piggies have settled in well and that your daughter is so smitten with them! There’s nothing better than a happy child looking after her pets!

:love: They are gorgeous! Sounds like they have settled in really well! Claw trimming needs to be done every 3-4 weeks, but as they are young you'll probably get away with it for a little longer.

Have a read of this link here Guinea Lynx :: Nail Clipping I see one of the boys has black claws! You'll want to shine a light under the nail to see where the blood supply is - you don't want to nic this :(

Clippers like this are really useful for nail trimming
We do a two person job I hold and distract by feeding lettuce and Mrs SB trims
It can also be worth getting the vet to show you how it is done first.

:love: They are gorgeous! Sounds like they have settled in really well! Claw trimming needs to be done every 3-4 weeks, but as they are young you'll probably get away with it for a little longer.

Have a read of this link here Guinea Lynx :: Nail Clipping I see one of the boys has black claws! You'll want to shine a light under the nail to see where the blood supply is - you don't want to nic this :(

Clippers like this are really useful for nail trimming
We do a two person job I hold and distract by feeding lettuce and Mrs SB trims
It can also be worth getting the vet to show you how it is done first.

Hi!
So helpful as always!
Thats teddy with the black claws I think h is the more dominant one as often does the mating dance around barnaby! He is a week older and also bigger than barnaby although that may be his fuzzy fur... thats going to be fun! I think i need to spend some more time with them as at the moment i am the scary person who changes their hay while my daughter is the one they are warming to (they make happy excited noises when she goes in to see them!) but she is to young to deal with the claws so i think i need to get them more used to me
thanks again xx

Back